I loved my D600

MrRamonG

I've read some of the posts on here that have trampled on the D600. My D600 was great and took great pictures. In the year I had it I never sent it out for repair or cleaning but did clean the sensor twice. However, I shot about 10k images and never noticed spots. I rarely shot with an aperture smaller than f8. So there may have been dust or grease on my sensor but it never impacted my images. As in the image below. I'm certain if I had gone looking for the dust I would have found it, but again, it wasn't affecting my pics so i didn't shoot the sky and try to find it. Had I done that I'm sure I would have pulled my hair out like the rest of you.

I've been talking about my D600 in the past tense because it's been replaced. The navigation button in the back fell off and I sent it out for repair. Best Buy deemed it non-repairable and gave me a D610. I was very disappointed about not getting my camera back but the D610 is so similar to the D600, I feel like I got my old camera back!

DSC_6708.jpg

Last edited:

Brian

I've got to wonder if the back-button falling off is what made it unrepairable!
What kind of extended warranty did you have on the camera? That is very generous of Best-Buy. I've had problems with Best Buy in the past, have not shopped there in a long time. But if they offer extended warranty like this, or just back what they sell like this- maybe will reconsider. In the past: "Best Buy Rebates that never get sent out", "Lousy customer service".

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Glad to hear you loved your D600--the camera does take amazing photos. I've never purchased camera equipment through Best Buy but am happy to hear they resolved your problem so satisfactorily!

I have to speak up for Best Buy also. My first Nikon was the D3100 and I bought it from them. It had major focus problems from day one and I thought it was me and several people told me is was me and not the camera. I finally proved to myself that the camera was the problem. It was past 30 days at that point so Best Buy sent it be repaired. It came back and was totally unusable, the focus was worse and the color was destroyed. I carried it back the same day and showed it to them. The person that was waiting on me took one look at it and walked away and in about two minutes walked back with a new D3100 in hand and open the box and pulled out the camera and handed it to me. No questions, no checking with manager.

i think that Best Buy is like any other store in the country in that the customer service depends on the manager of the local store more than anything. If you ever have problems with any store ask for the name of the Regional manager and call him and tell him your story and always remember to be so very nice to him. Tell him that you know that the company would not want that kind of service and you know he can fix it for you. I was a regional for many years and I got those calls every so often and I bent over backwards to make them happy.

nmccamy

Wow! I may buy my D610 from Best Buy. If I have a problem, it is 15 minutes away. Seems like they treat their customers fairly. What a unique concept! ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Did you purchase an extended warranty through Best Buy? You mentioned having the D600 for a year, but I can't see any retailer offering to replace any item in a year's time if the customer didn't purchase an extended warranty. If Best Buy replaced it without an extended warranty, that's great.

Steve B

I purchased my D800 through Best Buy recently. I would have preferred to buy it at the only local camera store we have but getting it on 18 months same as cash was easier to handle financially than spending the $2800 all at once.

Deezey

Older post but I can add a little info.

If shopping at Best Buy for camera stuff buy an extended warranty. The warranties I use are the ones that if it breaks and it is even your fault they will replace or fix. Now with cameras buy a 2 year or greater warranty.

what happens is if the camera breaks a year and a half after you bought it they will still fix or replace it. If they deem it needs to be replaced they will replace it with the most current model they stock. So if you bought a D600 and it broke....and they now only carry the D610. Guess what.....your replacement is the D610.

so if you buy from Best Buy....get a warranty. Preferably 2+ years.

Edit.... Typing on an iPad mini sucks....