D7100 auto focus gone

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, some how I managed to break my auto focus. Works with manual focus, but it's hard for me to get the wildlife in focus quickly, so off to the Delray Camera Shop tomorrow.

Glad it's still under warranty and that I have my trusty D5100 as backup. Chris said I am tough on my cameras.

Horoscope Fish

You didn't accidentally flip that little rotating focus lock switch by mistake, did you? I can't tell you how many times I've done that on my '7100, nor will I regale you with stories of how long it has sometimes taken for me to *figure out* I accidentally flipped the little rotating focus lock switch by mistake.

*shakes fist at tiny, ill-placed and entirely too easily accidentally flipped rotating focus lock switch*

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Are you sure it isn't the lens?

Not the lens, since it does auto focus on the D5100. Also tried a different lens on the D7100.

You didn't accidentally flip that little rotating focus lock switch by mistake, did you? I can't tell you how many times I've done that on my '7100, nor will I regale you with stories of how long it has sometimes taken for me to *figure out* I accidentally flipped the little rotating focus lock switch by mistake.

*shakes fist at tiny, ill-placed and entirely too easily accidentally flipped rotating focus lock switch*

That's the first thing I checked since I have accidently flipped the little handle to L in the past.

Steve B

That's the first thing I checked since I have accidently flipped the little handle to L in the past.

Sounds like you are talking about the focus lock on the back of the camera not the Focus Mode Selector switch right below the lens release button. Make sure the Focus Mode switch is set to AF not M.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I switched with the focus mode selector to and fro a few times and it looks like it focusing now. Thanks Steve B!

Last edited:

Steve B

I switched with the focus mode selector to and fro a few times and it looks like it focusing now. Thanks Steve B!
Glad you got it working. The other night I couldn't figure out why my D800 wouldn't fire the shutter correctly. Finally realized I had the release mode dial set to the mirror up mode. Talk about a senior moment. :)

zain

So the problem is not the camera but the tiny focus lever set to manual? I wonder why Nikon places it there for newer models...perhaps because it is easily access while we are holding lens and in the shooting position. But I also found it strange at first as it is totally different from my D80.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
So the problem is not the camera but the tiny focus lever set to manual? I wonder why Nikon places it there for newer models...perhaps because it is easily access while we are holding lens and in the shooting position. But I also found it strange at first as it is totally different from my D80.

Everything's different than my D5100.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thought you had worn it out.think its only tested to 150,000 actuation's :D

The D5100 has over 38,000 in less than one year. The D7100 has less than 10,000 in six months. Guess I'm getting a little choosy in what I shoot now, plus I seem to have less throw aways.:rolleyes: