D610 owners; satisfied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shungokusatsu29

I've been bouncing around with the idea of getting a new D600 or a used D700. But with the new D610 out, I would like to ask the owner if inDEED the dust/oil issue has been resolved? I'm amazed by the D600 and intrigued by the cheap price, but, I'm afraid of having the same issues that a majority of you are having. For my level of experience, the D600 is perfect, but if the D610 is without the formers problems, it's an easy decision. I've dug around this forum a bit but didn't fine anything too satisfying when it comes to answer that concern. THANKS!

BackdoorArts

Camera hasn't been around long enough for any kind of major feedback, and I don't know of many people here who rushed out to get one. There's one former D600 owner who has one thanks to some work with Nikon after 3 failures on fixing their D600, but I don't believe they've shot much with it. I think there are a lot of people treading carefully on this one, but from all I've read elsewhere there seem to be zero oil issues reported on the D610.

shungokusatsu29

Camera hasn't been around long enough for any kind of major feedback, and I don't know of many people here who rushed out to get one. There's one former D600 owner who has one thanks to some work with Nikon after 3 failures on fixing their D600, but I don't believe they've shot much with it. I think there are a lot of people treading carefully on this one, but from all I've read elsewhere there seem to be zero oil issues reported on the D610.

I understand and saw said thread. Looking at your gear, did you have any issues with yours? Would you recommend the in between D700 since I don't want to drop the dough on a D800? Well, I might be willing to get the D800 lol. All this will take place around June, so I have time to do more research and stuff but it's b/t the D600/610, D700 and D800. I want to start a photog business at some point, but my main focuses will be landscapes and street photography. The D600 will do the job, but again, I don't want the baggage that comes along, unless there have been a select few who have had no issues with theirs and had it fo a while.

BackdoorArts

My D600 went thru 2 bad shutter assemblies before coming back clean. Even faulty I was able to work with it as I don't shoot at small apertures a lot. It is my go-to camera when I don't have a specific need for high resolution (studio work), or anticipate the need to crop significantly (wild life, birds in flight). The D800 is great, but I believe that for the way I shoot the D600 provides the perfect combination of resolution and performance. I'd have no reservations using the D610 given that it's the same camera with a new shutter (that has a cool 3fps Quiet mode - I use Quiet a lot), and updated white balancing (which buys me barely anything). If I was waiting until June I'd have no reservations recommending you go straight for the D610, provided nothing alarming pops up between now and then.

shungokusatsu29

My D600 went thru 2 bad shutter assemblies before coming back clean. Even faulty I was able to work with it as I don't shoot at small apertures a lot. It is my go-to camera when I don't have a specific need for high resolution (studio work), or anticipate the need to crop significantly (wild life, birds in flight). The D800 is great, but I believe that for the way I shoot the D600 provides the perfect combination of resolution and performance. I'd have no reservations using the D610 given that it's the same camera with a new shutter (that has a cool 3fps Quiet mode - I use Quiet a lot), and updated white balancing (which buys me barely anything). If I was waiting until June I'd have no reservations recommending you go straight for the D610, provided nothing alarming pops up between now and then.

Great advice and feedback, I appreciate it!

John Young

I have the D600 and used it a lot for weddings and although I have not shot blank walls at F16 to specifically look for dust/oil I have not noticed anything in my photos with light areas/sky etc

nmccamy

For what it's worth, I'm thinking of getting the D610 in a few months. It's possible Nikon may come out with something new in a few months that I might prefer over the D610. But if they don't, I won't hesitate in getting the D610.

I have always maintained my photo gear, and especially the sensor, so cleaning it before a major shoot is my normal practice anyway, so if the D610 has dust problems (which all of the reviews I've seen indicate no), it won't affect my photographs anyway.

shungokusatsu29

I have the D600 and used it a lot for weddings and although I have not shot blank walls at F16 to specifically look for dust/oil I have not noticed anything in my photos with light areas/sky etc

I've actually considered just getting the D600 as an interim upgrade until I can spend the mula for a D610; I could sell my current gear and snag a used for since they are all dropping in price. Then again, for the same price(s), I could get a used D700. Soooo many decisions. All I know is that, from what I have seen, the D600 does exactly what I want, but I still need to research if I need megapixels or not. I don't think I do. Maybe a D600 will give me some education on cleaning sensors and stuff lol. Like a lot of you, I don't use a super tight aperture often so it might not be that big of a deal (the oil issues and such).

shungokusatsu29

I also love the Det. Lions.. so take my love for the 600 as you wish... haha. I love losers. :-(

Haha that comment made my night! I'm gonna have to see how things turn out; maybe save up some cash, sell my D3200 and get the D600 and upgrade later, or, just wait awhile. I gotta wait either way :/

Status
Not open for further replies.