I need a macro asap.

fhibbs12

Tamron 90 VC

Nikkor 105 VR

I'm leaning towards Tamron however I already use the nikkor 85 g for portraiture. I was then thinking the 105 would give me macro + another portrait length.

We are talking like a 300$ difference though for another 20 mm over the 85.

Thoughts?

BackdoorArts

I love my Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro. I believe it's as sharp as the Nikon (I haven't seen photos to prove otherwise) and it'll save you a little over $100.

rocketman122

I had the 105 AFD and now own the VR. both are stellar. have used my friends sigma 105 and its nice. not as sharp wide open as the Nikkors and if youre looking to save money and dont need super quick AF the sigma is nice. the tamron is sharper than the sigma but also slow AF. the other lens you should consider is the Tokina 100. a very capable lens and IMO sharper than the sigma and about the same as the tamron.

personally, id get a used nikkor 105 AFD. stellar and super sharp. I hardly used the macro part of it when I owned it as its really a wonderful portrait lens. the VR is just a tad better. a tad. nice bokeh..

fhibbs12

That's the main reason I am shying away from the tamron. The focal Length is to similar to my 85. I think 100+ fl would at least give me another possible portrait working distance.

But money aside the 105 vr better for portraits than the sigma? The macro portion of this lens is going to pretty much be a 1 off product shot of my buddies inventory. So the primary use going forward would be portrait then macro. He is splitting the bill with me so that's why price isn't the big issue. Also vr vc os is a must.

rocketman122

VR isnt so useful for closeups. since youre shooting products that dont move the sigma can fit your needs quite fine if youre on a budget. but the af is not fast. the vr is very quick. resale value is also a bit better on the nikkors. I use it in weddings all the time for candid photos. EXCELLENT for portraits. sharp as a MF even wide open. the sigma needs to be stopped down to 3.5 for the same result. im telling you, consider the tokina. if its between the tokina and sigma, id take the tokina. if its between all of them, the 105AFD will give you everything you need. the 105 VR will add useable VR for non macro shots and killer af speed. I always have the af distance limiter on.

fhibbs12

The I use it at weddings for candid line is basically what I am looking for after I use it this weekend for his inventory listings. Basically, general purpose portrait 80% of the time. Macro/close up the other 20. I really like my copy of the 50 1.8 more than my 85 so the 105 will bridge me from 35 50 and 105.

rocketman122

big plus with using the macro lens is I dont have that 3 feet minimum distance my 85 1.8AFD has. I can get in close to do nice face shots, and the 105 focal is also just enough to catch people from further away without them noticing you. again, the sigma is a bit slow, and the tamron is as well. the tokina a bit better and the nikkor AFD better than that. the VR though is faster than all of them. the FD and VR both are incredibly sharp at open. but you get a short dof which created a nice soft feel to the rest of the areas not in focus. just be careful. if you shoot 2 people torso shots one will be out of focus if not completely straight so you must stop down to f4.5 or more. cheers

Bill16

I'm going to buy a used nikkor 105mm micro when I can manage to get up enough money. But until then I'm using the Nikkor converted to ai 105mm micro, and I love that lens! It's not as good of a macro lens as the newer 105mm micro, since it's not 1:1, but it does awesome other than that and being strictly MF. :)

JDFlood

The Nikon 105 is an incredibly versatile lens. Fast, with VR it is great outdoors, and is great as a macros, don't have to get as close. I use it all the time in all sorts of situations. I couldn't recommend a lens more. JD

rocketman122

The Nikon 105 is an incredibly versatile lens. Fast, with VR it is great outdoors, and is great as a macros, don't have to get as close. I use it all the time in all sorts of situations. I couldn't recommend a lens more. JD

VR outdoors? why? more light, higher shutter speed, VR is not useful over 1/250..you meant indoors, yes?

JDFlood

I shoot mushrooms, moss, general medium telephoto work. I probably shot at least a hundred photos with it just today. I am in the Pacific NW in the forest, always dark. The VR really helps me keep the aperture closed down for a good depth of field. JD

rocketman122

I shoot mushrooms, moss, general medium telephoto work. I probably shot at least a hundred photos with it just today. I am in the Pacific NW in the forest, always dark. The VR really helps me keep the aperture closed down for a good depth of field. JD

Ah ok. didnt sound reasonable. outdoors and VR. I bought the lens for portraits. almost never used it for macro work except some ring shots of the B&G.

JDFlood

Ah ok. didnt sound reasonable. outdoors and VR. I bought the lens for portraits. almost never used it for macro work except some ring shots of the B&G.

I also use for street photography, especially when getting dark. You use VR indoors? You hand hold for portraits? You'r supposed to turn off VR on a tripod.

rocketman122

I also use for street photography, especially when getting dark. You use VR indoors? You hand hold for portraits? You'r supposed to turn off VR on a tripod.

tripod..? whats that HAHA. with the D3 iso, I havent used a tripod in a loooong time. dont plan to anytime soon. I do weddings. who the hell has time for a tripod. im all over the place bro. no time for tripod. I go behind, in front, behind the guests, from the side. im not in one place shooting ever. I shoot low, high. I get tons of different angles. thats what sets me apart. I get angles and perspectives/angles no one does. my mind is on overload working and trying to come up with different things so the BG have a variety of shots. I use VR when I shoot the ceremony (since most times its outdoors but 830pm and dark already) so I shoot usually at 1/125 and im good. but VR makes me nauseous so I dont have it on regularly. and I think (almost certain) I get steadier shots without the VR up to 1/30 by hand. from my experience.

I dont do street photography. only weddings. and when on vacations then the places I go. I like the action of weddings.