Hot pixel !!!! :(

omegabri

Hi guys...

Just been having a ponder at some of my New Year lantern shots and I noticed what was obviously not a distant lantern!!......a ‘hot pixel’. Not happy..... It’s just off the centre line, one third from the right. I tracked the same pixel point back into a shot taken a few weeks back. This time it appeared as a white dot in cloud taken in the day using low ISO.
Does it need remapping?? Can it be cured!?!?.....and lastly, can I do this or is it back to Nikon UK??

Many thanks
Bri...

P.S. Happy New Year all !!! :)

Joseph Bautsch

The D90 is not prone to having hot pixels. Try two things, one do a sensor cleaning. It just may be a spec of dust. Two, reload the firmware. A corruption there could be the cause. Maybe someone else on the site has other suggestions.

omegabri

The D90 is not prone to having hot pixels. Try two things, one do a sensor cleaning. It just may be a spec of dust. Two, reload the firmware. A corruption there could be the cause. Maybe someone else on the site has other suggestions.

I tried the sensor cleaning.... How do I reload the firmware??

Many thanks for the tips!

Joseph Bautsch

I know I said to reload the firmware but after searching the Nikon web site I cannot find where they will allow that to be done. If the camera is still under warranty then you may need to send it to Nikon for service. If it's not under warranty check with a local licensed Nikon repair service and see what they recommend. If you have to pay for repairs, it won't be cheep. The D90 is a very good camera and would be worth the repair. However, if it's only one pixel you can clone it out in post processing and live with it. Sorry I'm not able to help any further.

omegabri

cheers anyway... I'm gonna try the warranty route. I upgraded it to two years on the web, so I'll email/contact Nikon and see what they say...

Thanks anyway Joseph !

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I believe but am not certain that the repair is to remap the pixel. I've read on other forums where this can be done while you wait at a walk-in facility.

omegabri

Great service from Nikon !!!! They've emailed me already today and have arranged for sample shots, looked at them and emailed back with detail of returning the camera for repair!!!! All in one working day....... :)

Just gutted I'll be without my D90 for a while when it goes.... :(