In the Beginning.....

snowbeast

This is my first picture for crit in a hobby I decided to pic up properly two weeks ago.

10910232113_d291581404_z.jpg

Nikon D3100
55-200 Kit lens on manual Focus
I am not sure how to retrieve EXIF data yet, will update when I can find it.

I initially was taking pictures from above of the tight curl of petals. It then occurred to me a side on shot would be better. I had an image in my head of a valentines rose and tried to recreate it in pink.
The blue, bottom right is the pool and the brown is the paving. I came from different angles until I could
I took this at midday.
get the pool and shape of the rose to my liking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark F

Whoever said you needed a 1.4 - 2.8 lens for nice creamy bokeh. I'm impressed. 18-55 and the 55-200 are really good lenses for that camera.

I'd be curious as to how much PP you had to do.

snowbeast

It is a real flower. I did edit the color curve on Gimp as my weeks project (i set weekly projects for myself to learn quicker)
I would have loved to be able to make the background darker and flower lighter, but I have no idea how to do that.
​The Hardest part is I do not have a tripod and to get this low and hold it steady took some time.

Mike D90

It is a real flower. I did edit the color curve on Gimp as my weeks project (i set weekly projects for myself to learn quicker)
I would have loved to be able to make the background darker and flower lighter, but I have no idea how to do that.
​The Hardest part is I do not have a tripod and to get this low and hold it steady took some time.

Want a darker background? Move the flower even farther from the background or put a darker background behind the flower. Want the flower to have more light? Add more light either from a window, if inside, or use creative fill flash or off camera flash. Or use a white card/board to reflect more sunlight light onto the flower.

Horoscope Fish

Needs cropping. It's too centered for a Two Thirds crop, but a tighter Golden Ratio crop pins it nicely.

Attachments

• 10910232113_d291581404_z.jpg
    10910232113_d291581404_z.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 92