No exposure meter on top display

Geoffc

My wife bought a D7100 a couple of months ago as a replacement / upgrade to her D300. Primarily a more up to date sensor as the rest of D300 is pretty good.

Whilst shooting some landscape shots on a tripod yesterday she asked me how to get the exposure meter up on the top LCD display like the D300 or my D800. My reading of the manual afterwards suggests it's not an option.

Another thing I noticed when using auto ISO is the ISO value does not seem to display in the viewfinder when you half press the shutter release. I didn't play with this for long so I may have been doing something wrong.

I find these types of emissions annoying and when my wife asks why Nikon would design it this way, should I be saying it's all about marketing and you've now dropped out of their "pro body" club with your flagship D7100 DX DSLR?

I'm wondering if the D600 has the same bits missing as the D7100. I replaced mine with a D800 so I can't look myself.

Anybody coming from a lower body or even a D7000 probably wouldn't notice these things, but in the absence of a D400 Nikon should have given a little more thought to the people who might be buying the D7100.

This is not a knock the D7100 post as she likes some of the newer features of the D7100 that the 300 hasn't got and it does take great pictures.

slowpoke

Geoff,I shot in P mode and my D7100 is showing the exposure scale and iso in the view finder.:)
Yes it doesn't show in the top display.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

I just checked my 7100 and I see ISO being displayed quite prominently in the LCD panel when in P, S, A and M modes with Auto ISO enabled.

BackdoorArts

Geoff,

In the Shooting/Display menus you have the option to show frame count or ISO in the viewfinder. As for exposure in the top panel, I've yet to find a way to do it on the top panel, but if you hit the INFO button it is part of the rear display, so if you have the eye piece covered on a tripod you can still view it there. Not a perfect workaraound, but a way to get what you need. This is consistent on both my D7000 and D600, so I'm thinking the D7100 should be the same.

Geoffc

Thanks for the replies guys, you are all absolutely right. Jake I've just followed your suggestion and changed the shooting/display menu and I now have the ISO setting in the viewfinder and LCD. I think this is the final straw and I'm going to have to start reading the manuals :eek: The exposure meter thing is quite easy to workaround using the viewfinder or info display, it's just that if you're used to it being on the LCD it feels like something is missing when it's gone. It's things like this that leave many D300 users spending so much time pondering over the D7100 in the absence of a D400. Taken as a complete package the 7100 seems to be a nice camera and it certainly addresses the shortcomings that my wife had with her D300, namely pixels for cropping and better ISO performance. The cropping is important as it avoids a heavier lens than her 70-300 VR, such as the Sigma 150-500.