night time self portrait lens

ady

Hi all,
Ive just bought myself a D5200 and I am asking your advice on a lens for my type of photography. So here we go. I am a keen fisherman and like to take pictures of my captures. Invariably these pics are taken at night, using the camera self take timer set up on a tripod and using the flash. Rarely am I more than an arms length from the camera, so lets say I am between 3ft and 8ft from the camera. (I know my arms arent this long).

My question is, can anybody recommend a lens for this style of photography and any tips on settings would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Ady.

FastGlass

Because you're using a flash, the lens itself isn't really important as far as how fast it is. What did your cameras come with? If they came with a kit lens then they're more than capable of doing what you want. What is your budget? There are dozens of lenses out there to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! I would suggest using a remote or timer and maybe a nikkor 35mm af-s vr lens. A good flash would also be my suggestion, like the nikon sb-700, sb-800, or the sb-910. So you're more sure to get enough light.
But others here are way better at photography than I am, and might have a much better set of recommendations! :D
As a man who likes fishing, I'm very interested in what combination of camera equipment you end up solving your needs with! :)

Last edited by a moderator: