When is one ready?

Kias

The day I've been waiting for, has finally arrived.

Somebody asked me to shoot a wedding tonight. I've been prepared for this though. Had a whole sappy "You really want someone who knows what they're doing on such a special day. blah blah blah" reply all worked out in my head.

What I wasn't ready for, is the fact that it's my son's wedding they want me to shoot.

The date is set in next August, they have the church, they have the reception venue. They have asked us for no money yet. Though I'm ready to sell my left lung. :p

My wife thinks I'll be fine, though she seems to think I'll be harder on myself. I'll be hard on myself, but I'm not sure I'd be fine. My father in law has shot many a weddings and could probably help to shoot the token pictures I am suppose to be in.

I definitely don't have the equipment to shoot it, though that would be a good excuse to get the equipment. Whatever that may be.

I haven't even shot a whole lot of people to begin with. The ones I have, it seems to be hit or miss. Though I suppose I could post "I need guinea pigs!" on facebook, and I'd probably have more than enough people to practice with. People have requested to be friends there, just because they want to see the photos I take... Strange, but ok, whatever...

I will admit that everything I've ever done, I think really sucks, but the rest of the world thinks it's the greatest thing ever! (Whatever it was I did, and however big that world was.) So, I definitely hold myself to a standard I can't ever achieve. For example, back in the day I used to make a monthly newsletter that was delivered using Hewlett Packard's now defunct Instant Delivery software. One had to subscribe to get the newsletter, though it was free to do so. These newsletters are archived in the Library of Congress, ready for History Detectives to tell the owner of an old newsletter in 200 years that it's worthless. I did get an ISSN number assigned to it. That's when I learned ISBN's are for books, and ISSN's are for periodicals. (Who knew!) I was in second place as far as numbers of subscribers were concerned. Only The New York Times had more subscribers. Sports Illustrated, CBS, Dilbert, and the list goes on like that, they all had less subscribers than little 'ole me working out of a converted bedroom. About two weeks after they shut down the whole system, Hewlett Packard sent me a really nice thank you letter along with a complimentary printer. I was shocked! Yet I always thought that newsletter sucked. Still do. Though no one else has even hinted at that. :confused: Though I can see how big this was, and I can see how much advertising I sold, but it still sucked. (I think my brain is broken)

So, when is one ready to shoot a wedding? When did you shoot your first wedding? Did you feel you were ready to shoot a wedding?

The whole thing just seems so monumental to me.

Mike D90

I haven't said I would yet. I may just pay for the photographer too.

Well, you have several months to prepare and see if you think you are up to it. Or, go ahead and hire a pro and see if he/she is willing to let you be the second shooter.

Millie

Banned
Your d 7000 is fine ..get an 18-200 and employ a pro ..No one can stop you shooting what you want ..you dont need to be official second shooter unless you wan to stand at the back of the church with the pro at the front though I dont beleive its possible to shoot a wedding with only one photographer .Wedding photography is all done with the mouth and attention to detail in the construction of the shots..Make sure you employ someone middle aged ..young kids in jeans do not command respect from the guests. If the pro is not there all day you can take the B and G out between the meal and evening celebrations (if they are not drunk) for some special shots of your own.
why dont you do it in partnership with the other experienced dad.....Lots of ideas there

mr2_serious

I suggest renting a 70-200mm f2.8 instead of getting a 18-200mm. I would probably rent a second body and 24-70mm f2.8 as well.

» William via Tapatalk

Cowleystjames

I've only done two weddings, so not exactly experienced, with a third booked. But, they both went very well. Main thing I've discovered already is that you have to take control and age certainly commands respect. I'm middle aged, six foot four, and ex Army, so I stand out in a crowd, perhaps that helps!
However, don't even think of doing it without a second body and more than one lens. What do you do if your camera breaks? Have back up plans for all eventualities.
Don't forget the weather, what if it's raining and that first shot with the new bride and groom can't be taken in your planned place due to pouring rain?
Have a back up, take control and you'll be fine.

Geoffc

Lots of good points already raised. I recently did my daughters wedding which was a small affair so the photos didn't take hours. She was very pleased with the results. I also did a lot of informal sat my niece's wedding last year which she seemed to prefer to the official tog.

My main comment would be, if it's your own son or daughters wedding you won't enjoy the day as much if you're the main tog. Therefore, unless you're trying to save money hire someone and relax into taking the candids. They're the ones people often like best.

If you do it yourself as others have said, you will need two bodies, good glass, off camera flash etc etc. Note the flash point, if you can't light it properly with off camera flash don't bother.

pedroj

I think Geoff has hit the nail on the head....Enjoy the occasion without the stress of making sure You get it right...

Cheers and all the best to you and son on the DAY...

Kias

Thanks for all the tips! Keep 'em coming!

I am a little bit shocked it took so long for someone to say, just hire a tog and enjoy!

Well... I think I'll definitely enjoy it more behind a camera. Besides, every wedding I've ever been to, the photographer always has the best seat in the house!

So, here's what I've gotten so far.

1. Take command and control. I have a "Daddy Voice" that makes anyone under 30 cringe with fear. Check.
2. Have backup gear. Ex-Military here, redundancy is where it's at. Check.
3. 70-200 f/2.8 lens. This is actually the next one I've been thinking about getting anyway. I currently have a 17-70 f/2.8-4 though sometimes I wish I had 2.8 @ 70. Might think about renting that.
4. Flash. Also been thinking about pulling the trigger on an SB-910 anyway. I can rent others as needed.
5. Talk to the officiating person before hand. Learned that from the video of the priest yelling at the photographer.
6. Study classic and not so classic wedding poses and lighting setups until my brain explodes. Came up with that myself.
7. Practice Practice Practice! Also came up with that myself.

Just-Clayton

I did my first wedding 3 years ago. I had my 3100 and 2 lenses. The couple just wanted basic shots. To me I wasn't ready. I did it anyway. Looking back at those pictures and the most recent ones I did, I have noticed my improvement by listening to others. I now have 3 bookings for next year.
As for doing it by yourself. It is possible but, you will be tired and have no time for yourself at the wedding. I did my daughters wedding and I was lucky to have my best friend shoot while I was busy being in the pictures. When the night was over(around 3am) I had been up 24 hours. I forgot to mention the fact that my wife and I made the hot foods and the grooms parents did the snacks for around 300 people. If I were to do it again and had the money. I would have someone else do it. Not that I didn't take great pictures but I missed a lot of the wedding "Fun".

Mike D90

So, here's what I've gotten so far.

1. Take command and control. I have a "Daddy Voice" that makes anyone under 30 cringe with fear. Check.
2. Have backup gear. Ex-Military here, redundancy is where it's at. Check.
3. 70-200 f/2.8 lens. This is actually the next one I've been thinking about getting anyway. I currently have a 17-70 f/2.8-4 though sometimes I wish I had 2.8 @ 70. Might think about renting that.
4. Flash. Also been thinking about pulling the trigger on an SB-910 anyway. I can rent others as needed.
5. Talk to the officiating person before hand. Learned that from the video of the priest yelling at the photographer.
6. Study classic and not so classic wedding poses and lighting setups until my brain explodes. Came up with that myself.
7. Practice Practice Practice! Also came up with that myself.

Also, do not forget to physically go to the locations where you will be shooting and check the available light during different conditions, i.e., day, night, overcast, very dark and even with no power just in case. You have no idea, right now, what the weather will be or lighting conditions could be like on the day it counts. Be prepared ahead of time on that one.

Take into consideration the size of the room(s) and how many people will be in those rooms and if you need to light the whole room or just a few of the people in it.

Find yourself a helper right now and start working with them immediately and get them trained.

I have found a good bit of information at these links:

6 Tips for Creating Unique and Emotion Filled Wedding Photos - Digital Photography School

Wedding Photography: Shooting The Rings - Digital Photography School

10 Tips for Creating Great Family Portraits - Digital Photography School

So You

Last edited:

Browncoat

I don't think anyone is ever truly prepared for their first wedding shoot. Each one is unique and presents its own challenges, and they're all nerve wracking, no matter how many you do.

As for your situation, if it were me, I'd hire a pro.

You're going to have plenty on your plate already, being the father of the groom. This should be a day of celebration for you, and your son and new daughter-in-law are going to want you to be IN those photos, not tucked away behind the camera. Take your camera with you, absolutely. Get those behind the scenes candid shots that a lot of pros seem to miss.

If you do this, I think in the end, you'll regret missing out on the festivities. This is not a day where you can wear two hats in my opinion.

Millie

Banned
I recently did an analysis of the focal lengths I actually used at a wedding with my 18-200mm most were in the 18-50 range a few at 100-135 and only big close ups of rings going up fingers etc on the full zoom ..a lens starting at 50 mm would not be a good idea unless you have a second camera on your neck.

I recently started to use a meaphone to talk over church bells but now use it all the time as the guests know when to pay attention......

rocketman122

The day I've been waiting for, has finally arrived.

What I wasn't ready for, is the fact that it's my son's wedding they want me to shoot.

ooo..thats some weight on your shoulder. ive shot my sisters wedding so I feel you. but ive done it for many years. In your case. give them a great present and find a pro that you like his work.

The ones I have, it seems to be hit or miss.

Thats not so good. if you tell me youre shooting people on the dance floor at an event and its dark and the lighting is changing all the time then I say yea sure my shots on the dance floor are hit and miss also. but in regular lighting, not good. weddings are very fast paced. for the guests there, its slow. for the pro it lighting fast! even during the welcoming of the guests im all over the place shooting people talking, meeting, hugging, interacting, mingling. from the side, non obtrusive. and its fast. anyone can do the basic "say cheese" kind. thats boring. but capturing emotions is an art.

I will admit that everything I've ever done, I think really sucks,

thats a great thing. it means you have passion to better yourself. the second you lose that, then you arent striving to better yourself. I hope that never stops with me. its the same when I cooked for famiy members. wow, so good, yummy...but I dont eat my own food. taste, yes, eat, no. its never good enough.

So, when is one ready to shoot a wedding? When did you shoot your first wedding? Did you feel you were ready to shoot a wedding?

I did a family bat mitzah once with no experience and it was awful. no experience. flash, exposure was crap. Im embarrassed about it. weddings? my sister got me the job. through a freind she met who had a family studio. I showed my work. some portraits, some still life product shots including BW skittles shots I did. yes, skittles. they liked it, saw potential. I started joining different photogs when they did their weddings. after about 6 months they sent me to bar mitzvah, then to a wedding and another. after about 2 years I became their #1 photog. looking back, I had so much confidence thinking I was so great but really I was crap. it takes a good 2 years of non stop work to be a kick A** photog. and I was shooting over 100 weddings a year. so 2-3 weddings or family events is not going to cut it. constantly striving to be better. buying better glass. looking at other work. reading about other photogs. a great photog needs to know technical (camera/gear/exposure) and artistic sides. what makes a photo aesthetic. different compostions that are not just out of the ordinary. it took me 2 years when I broke that abrrier and was able to create instead of just document. anyone can come in and just take a photo. tons of people do it all the time with their iphones and androids. you need to learn to capture angles that make people smile and say "nice" in wedding you need the basic pictures but you must add creative artistic things that bring out emotions in others who look at them. with social media we see tons and tons of pictures. it seems this world is about trying to push mediocrity. "be you, you are who you are" instead of "always strive to be elite. to stand out. to be better, to want more from yourself"

The whole thing just seems so monumental to me.

Because it is. extremely monumental. it shocks me how many people are willing to take on this responsibility of shooting (most) peoples once in a lifetime event. its a very heavy weight on a persons shoulder and should not be taken lightly. hire a pro and join him. he will teach you so much. you will get some of your money back from his information. just find someone who you connect with. is friendly, will have patience and will teach you a bit. I love helping other photogs who need some guidance. when they send me a photog who isnt such a pro I like to help them out and explain things to them when I have free time in between. I would also ask your father in law to come with his gear and help when he can. because the pro cant sit and explain a lot during the hectic time constrained event.

gear wise at the minimum!
2 bodies, preferebly FF. the IQ is just so much better. low iso noise doesnt see DX from a meter away. I shoot 4-5000 iso in the dark with some fill flash lighting off camera. stellar
-2 flashes that do itll and HSS as you might need to use it outdoors for portraits.
-17-35 2.8 doesnt matter which. more or a less a WA 2.8 zoom lens. you can get away with a 20mm 2.8
-28-70 AFS is just great. 24-70 AFS better. the tamron 24-70 VC is also nice. sigma...meh. sorry. Ive had experience with Sigma. every single 24/28-70 variation theyve made is ok, but only after stopping down to 4-4.5 does it shine
-70/80-200 2.8 all are more than fine.
-------------------------

extras:
light stands with some flashes to run in manual mode and slaves for them. for extra fill and background to foreground exposure balance. meaning, the flash will add some lighting for whatever is in the background and your on camera flash will get the person in front exposed.

May the force be with you

Last edited: