Nikon FM shutter releas stuck, help please.

vedtam

Hi,

A few days ago I have bought a Nikon FM body. The camera is in perfect condition, there is not even a scratch on it. When I have received the body I did 2-3 exposures and it worked perfectly. Than I have attached the Nikkor AF 35-70mm, and I have put it back into the bag, but before this I have messed a bit with the setting dials even with the Shutter Lock button if I remember right.

The next day when I winded the camera up, the shutter button did not go all the way down it was stil like locked, and even with the shutter release off, it still won't fire. I don't know why the shutter is still stuck, tried to put all the settings back but nothing changed.

Can it be because of the lens, or something did jammed around the the shutter lock dial?

Thanks,
vedtam

vedtam

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the suggestion, almost there...I have tried to push the bottom shutter release button, but I get the same "half way down" feeling as pushing the normal shutter button.

I tried with the advance lever pulled out as well, and still wont fire. But I have noticed, if the advance lever is closed or open the shutter release behaves exactly the same way.

All this started when I closed the advance lever while the camera was winded up, can this be responsible for the jammed shutter release?

Regards

vedtam

Updates:

I have managed to recover the shutter release button! After opening again the camera back, I have turned the film take-up spool gently to the left and while hearing a ticking sound as the weal has turned everything went to normal. I made for about 10 test shots.

Than it happened the following:

After turning the camera off and back on, the advance lever is tuck at the half way, as it would reach the end of the film (but the camera is empty). Opened the back again, and tried to turn the take-up spool again, but now it goes not as easy and there is no ticking sound. The frame counter shows an "S", even with the back closed. :(

I am going crazy...

Last edited:

vedtam

After some more investigation I am trying to find some answers if the take-up spool and film sprocket holder's behaviour is normal. I have tried to push the rewind button (on the bottom) while turning the take-up spool witch goes still quite hard, and the film sprocket holder feel like they are loose (and there is no clicking sound while rotating it).

The film rewind button (on the bottom) feel s loose too, like it would be stuck after it was pressed in the past...

Vid 1

Please check the videoclips I have uploaded, I am showing all the above details there.
Regards!

Last edited:

vedtam

Coud the bottom rewind button be jammed, which can cause the takup-spool and the film sprocket holder to turn freely? And maybe the reason for the lack of the "ticking" sound and the stuck advance lever?

In my area unfortunately there are no Nikon repair services, so I have to figure out a solution....:(

Brian

The bottom rewind release button should spring back the moment that you advance the shutter. The bottom botton is not jammed into place by the bottom plate, so something else is hanging it up. I've had luck squirting some loghter fluid (Ronsonol brand) into some mechanisms before to free them up, in this case a drop into the opening of the spool is worth a shot if you have given up on getting the camera serviced.