Large Family Photo Shoot

Pretzel

So... if a photographer were going to do a family portrait session for a family with *5* (FIVE) <<insert LOTS here>> kids, would other photographers have any tips for him perhaps??

:cool:

Yup, looks like I've got a challenge ahead of me! I have NEVER shot such a large family group, but I know there are difficulties in catching every single person with their eyes open, etc. (plus the fun in getting them all posed together for more than just 2 seconds) and was wondering a couple of things.

I know 1 trick of just doing a burst of 4-5 shots in rapid succession to weed out the occasional eye closing, but I've also heard of photographers that will edit out one person with their eyes closed and edit in their head with their eyes open from another photo. With a guy like me, using LR5 and an FX package (Intensify Pro right now), is that possible, or is there something less expensive than PS that could work?

Or should I just be praying that I catch those lucky shots with all 7 wide-eyed and bushy-tailed? LOL

I've had successful shoots with a family of 5, but there was only 1 youngster, 2 teens and 2 adults, so I just explained the importance of open eyes and captured a few sequential to make sure I caught the wee one's eyes open. This family has 4 kiddos at 6 and under, so aside from the tips, WISH ME LUCK!

Swapping heads would not be easy with anything. Besides eys closing head do move especially with kids. Plan on fast bursts of 5 of 6 frames to catch them all.

Also check to see if they want their pets in the portrait too. Would make it more interesting for us. :cool:

Lawrence

Interestingly enough I read an article that advised to ask everyone to close their eyes just before shooting then instruct them to open them and to press the shutter about 1 second later. Worth a try

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I did a short stint working for a photography studio--they specialized in pre-school children. For the really young kids, the photographer had a squeaker in hand. It was the type of squeaker sometimes found in dog toys (a small round plastic disc). Just before firing the shot, he'd hide the squeaker in his left hand and touch the tip of his nose while saying look here. Just as he touched, he'd squeak the squeaker. He was always able to capture the kids' attention--at least for a few of the photos! ;)

I did a short stint working for a photography studio--they specialized in pre-school children. For the really young kids, the photographer had a squeaker in hand. It was the type of squeaker sometimes found in dog toys (a small round plastic disc). Just before firing the shot, he'd hide the squeaker in his left hand and touch the tip of his nose while saying look here. Just as he touched, he'd squeak the squeaker. He was always able to capture the kids' attention--at least for a few of the photos! ;)
That will get the adults attention also.

Pretzel

The crazy thing is, I'm doing this because I love it. Photography has become an integral part of my weekly routine, if not daily, and I absolutely *LOVE* seeing people light up or hearing about how much they love a photo I've taken of their family!

But... it's also stressful, as I'm just starting in the portrait side of the biz, and every time I go out and shoot, I'm thinking... "What if I don't catch the shot this time? What if they don't like 'em? What if I jumped into this too soon?" So far, all sorts of random photos that people love, 3 family portrait sessions down where the families have all RAVED, lots of individual portraits of my wife and son that receive rave reviews, and I'm still nervous.

Does that side of it ever go away?

Geoffc

I did a 15 member family shot for my wife's dads 90th a while ago. I took about ten shots (I was also in them) and then cut about 5 faces out in Photoshop so they all had nice expressions. Nobody could tell and they are hanging in 3 houses now.

I did another similar group in my sister in laws kitchen. Obviously the background was less than ideal. I replaced the kitchen with a country house in 1 version and trees in the other.

If you aren't families with Photoshop you may just need more shots and a suitable background.

pedroj

I used to do a group ballet school shoot of 220 + kids...Took about 20 to 30 shots then fixed the eyes and heads in Photoshop...

Mike D90

I tried this with a whoopee cushion once and everyone closed their eyes and held their breath instead :eyetwitch: (j/k)

Sevenup

I've done some with more than double the children than that- and because of adoption the portion under 6 was exceptional.

The closing of the eyes until you click and also the squeaker both work REALLY well.
Sometimes you can switch a hand puppet or squeaker with each other to rotate whats working and keep it fresh.
Also consider asking the family if they have a really fun grandparent, babysitter, friend, etc. that makes the children laugh and lighten up- it would be helpful to have that person on your team :)