Bought a Tamron 18-270mm lens. Counfused about which camera to buy :)

iamafreak

I have been planning to buy a DSLR for quite a long time. Decided that I will get a NIKON.
I ended up buying a Tamron 18-270mm lens yesterday. Picked it up for around EUR 245. Actual price is around EUR 340. Couldn't resist the near 100 bucks discount :playful:

I am confused between D5100 and D5200. This is my first DSLR and I have no real experience in photography. (my previous camera was a Panasonic LUMIX superzoom)

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

Horoscope Fish

I am confused between D5100 and D5200. This is my first DSLR and I have no real experience in photography.
Well the '5200 is basically one step-up over the older '5100. The '5200 is 24MP vs the 5100 which is 16MP. The 5200 has more focus points, more cross-type focus points, better color depth, more dynamic range, faster continuous shooting... Stuff like that.

nickt

While you are camera shopping, start studying the the basics of exposure if you are not already familiar with that stuff. Learn the relationship between shutter, aperture, and iso and things will go a lot smoother when you get the camera. If you thoroughly understand exposure principles, your camera manual will make a lot more sense when you read it.

Epoc

Certainly a different way to do things. Most people buy the camera then lenses. 5200 or 7000 would be my choice. Good luck with whatever you buy.

Bob Blaylock

I have been planning to buy a DSLR for quite a long time. Decided that I will get a NIKON.
I ended up buying a Tamron 18-270mm lens yesterday. Picked it up for around EUR 245. Actual price is around EUR 340. Couldn't resist the near 100 bucks discount :playful:

I am confused between D5100 and D5200. This is my first DSLR and I have no real experience in photography. (my previous camera was a Panasonic LUMIX superzoom)

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers.

Well the '5200 is basically one step-up over the older '5100. The '5200 is 24MP vs the 5100 which is 16MP. The 5200 has more focus points, more cross-type focus points, better color depth, more dynamic range, faster continuous shooting... Stuff like that.

Don't forget, that now there's the new D5300 as well, which is now the current member of the D5?00 line, making the D5200 now obsolete,and the D5100 yet another step obsolete behind the D5200. So, if you're determined to stay in the D?00 line, there are three choices available, depending on how much you're willing to pay, balanced against how far behind the technological curve you're willing to be.

As an alternative to the D5100, allow me to suggest that you have a good look at the D3200. The D3?00 line is a step down from the D5?00 line, but the D3200 is current technology, rather than the two-generations-behind technology of the D5100; and I believe the D3200 and the D5100 both are currently going for around the same price point. For the same price as the D5100, the D3200 gives you higher resolution, and you may find that the features it gains by being later technology are better than the features it gives up by being a “lesser” model.

iamafreak

Thank you all for the warm welcome and useful feedback. Guess i will choose between D3200 and D5200.
D3200 seems to be a little cheaper than D5200 where i live.
I will read some more and make a decision soon.
@nickt - Yes, I would like to start reading exposures, shutter speed, aperture and other stuff. Any recommended reading?

nickt

Yes, I would like to start reading exposures, shutter speed, aperture and other stuff. Any recommended reading?
There is a book called 'Understanding Exposure'. I have not read it myself, but it gets recommended a lot over the years. There are many introductory general photography books that would help too. You could probably find something in the bargin pile of your local bookstore. Look for a book that discusses shutter, aperture and iso. At some point you may consider a camera specific book, but it is better to learn the basics first. There is plenty of free information on the web these days if you don't want to spend money. Here are a couple of sites I have been spreading around lately:
Exposure | Understanding Exposure - ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed Explained
Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, & Light Explained-Understanding Exposure & Camera Settings - YouTube

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thank you all for the warm welcome and useful feedback. Guess i will choose between D3200 and D5200.
@nickt - Yes, I would like to start reading exposures, shutter speed, aperture and other stuff. Any recommended reading?

You might get more out of your newly acquired lens with a 16mp sensor. The 24mp sensor could show the limits of that super zoom you just bought.
If I was you, I'd get the 5100 or a 7000. If you want even easier camera to handle, the D90 would be my choice. Easier to tame than the more 16-24mp sensors.
I've seen so many people deceived with the look of their "mucho to many MPs" that emphasize the lack of their shooting technique.

The question you should ask yourself is "How large do I want to print". And then decide.

Bob Blaylock

It's probably fair to describe the D5200 as the next model up from the D3200, though the new D5300 now pushes the D5200 back a step on the obsolescence scale.

Other than cost, there's really no reason not to get the D5200 rather than the D3200, if you can afford the D5200. I don't think there's any advantage that the D3200 has over the D5200.

Bob Blaylock

You might get more out of your newly acquired lens with a 16mp sensor. The 24mp sensor could show the limits of that super zoom you just bought.
If I was you, I'd get the 5100 or a 7000. If you want even easier camera to handle, the D90 would be my choice. Easier to tame than the more 16-24mp sensors.
I've seen so many people deceived with the look of their "mucho to many MPs" that emphasize the lack of their shooting technique.

The question you should ask yourself is "How large do I want to print". And then decide.

You seem to be trying to describe a higher resolution sensor as being inherently a disadvantage. I cannot agree.

In any event, if one truly desires lower-resolution images from the camera, the D3200 can be set to produce .JPGs at 13.5 or 6 megapixels rather than the full 24 megapixels.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
You seem to be trying to describe a higher resolution sensor as being inherently a disadvantage. I cannot agree.

In any event, if one truly desires lower-resolution images from the camera, the D3200 can be set to produce .JPGs at 13.5 or 6 megapixels rather than the full 24 megapixels.

I wasn't implying that the higher resolution sensor was a disadvantage, but, for a beginner it could make for deceiving results if used with less than stellar lenses and less than good shooting stability.
The OP was coming straight from a point and shoot.