Nikon D3200 and NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens/Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Ma

Mineores

It's Christmas soon, and my father said that he wants to get me a Telephoto my D3200. I was looking at those two lenses above

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-55-300mm-4-5-5-6G/dp/B003ZSHNCC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384190153&sr=8-2&keywords=nikon+70-300mm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-AF-70-300mm-4-5-6-Macro/dp/B000HDZAUA

What's the real difference between both of them? I discounted the Sigma 70-300mm as I found out the AF won't work as this lens doesn't have a motor? Will the Tamron be compatible with my D3200 (I mean will all features be available). Is the Nikon really worth the extra £60 - £80?

Also, changing the subject, what is the best lens for landscape photos, not too expensive please!

Sorry if I sound a little clueless, only got this DSLR a couple of weeks ago, and photography involves a steep learning curve.

thanks in advance for your help!

Pretzel

The Tamron you linked doesn't have the VC (Vibration Control) that I could tell, where'as the 55-300mm Nikon SHOULD be the VR (Vibration Reduction) that would make it a little easier to get steady handheld shots when zoomed. To me, that's invaluable.

Mineores

I did not think of that at all, yes that would be very important for me haha. I don't want blurry shots

Looks like I'll have to be extra nice to my father to get him to buy me the Nikkor then!

​cheers

Mineores

I only have the kit lens (18-55mm) just looking for something good for macro and landscapes. (Will this be good for them, I know it's good for Macro but not so good for landscapes?)

I'm going to Iceland in February so I want a good all-rounder.

If I put some of my cash in (which i'm willing to) I could get the 70-300mm at a push. Is it worth the extra £80 - £100?

​cheers

EDIT: Having looked at the price of some of the wide angled lenses perfect for landscape/architectural photography, I'm never going to afford those, so this is pretty much my only option I think.

Last edited:

nikonpup

your 18-55mm is a general purpose "normal" zoom lens. It is not a macro lens. On a budget, get the 55-300mm. When budget and experience increse then buy better glass. I used "kit lens" with my d50 and d5100 for many years and they worked well for me.

Also, don't overlook reconditioned lens. A good way to make the dollars go further. I have used a 55-300 for a while and couldn't tell it wasn't new.

Mineores

Also, don't overlook reconditioned lens. A good way to make the dollars go further. I have used a 55-300 for a while and couldn't tell it wasn't new.

I always try and go for the cheapest option I can, so refurbished lenses are good, it's just that I'm in the uk so I don't have a lot of choice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Mineores

your 18-55mm is a general purpose "normal" zoom lens. It is not a macro lens. On a budget, get the 55-300mm. When budget and experience increse then buy better glass. I used "kit lens" with my d50 and d5100 for many years and they worked well for me.

I think I might go for the 55-300mm as I'd prefer to spend some money getting a new SD card and tripod 1st. I can always sell it in the future when I decide to buy a new one

Cheers for your help!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

reverb

With my D3200 I've got just three lenses - the kit 18-55, a 35mm f/1.8, and the Nikkor 55-300. I really don't think I'm going to need anything else for a while - this is plenty to keep me going for a wide range of shots while I get used to the camera and learn more. Really pleased with the quality and versatility of the 55-300.

adox66

Re landscapes, the kit lens will do fine for those type of shots. Just keep it towards the wide end and you will get some fine shots.