Happy new year from sydney

Ranie

Happy New Year my Nikonites family

5309236993_3cb287e3aa_z.jpg

naja

Happy New year, you got there before us again!!!!!! (lol)

Great image.

It is better to be silent and be thought an idiot, than to open one's mouth and confirm it

ZiN

Those are some awesome shots Ranie, I hope I get the chance to photograph some fireworks this year. Don't have the slightest idea how at the moment but I'm going to be trying to do more night time photography this year.

Happy New Year also from Canada folks. :)

Ranie

The Finale!

5311035005_ea14554af1_z.jpg

Hi Zin

First of all Happy New Year.

I would like to share with you and to all our Nikonites family how I shot these fireworks pics.

Equipment I used:
Camera: D300s
Lens: Nikon 17-55 F2.8
Tripod and Ballhead: Monfrotto 055XPROB and 488RC2
Remote Shutter: APerture for D300/D300s
Black T-Shirt ( to cover the lens in between bursts )

First, is to scout the location where to shoot. Then arrive there early a make test shots of the framing you want
to achieve. If it is possible, ask where the fireworks will be launched. Take note also if the wind direction.
Because the smoke will greatly affect the final output of your picture.

2 things that are very important when shooting fireworks.

- sturdy tripod. A rigid tripod is a must for shooting not only fireworks but long exposure shots.
- remote shutter release. With shutter speeds lasting several seconds, you want as little camera shake as possible.
A remote release minimizes vibrations during shutter actuation and also makes it possible to take pictures from a more
comfortable position. A cable release is the most versatile due to its ability to work from any direction and
orientation.

Now for my settings:
ISO: 100 for less noise
Opening (F): If you are near, try F 13-16, If you are a bit far, F8-11
NR: Set long exposure noise reduction to ON
Shutter: BULB
Camera: Manual
Lens: Manual and set to Infinity

At the start of the fireworks, try to capture the first explosion. Those are your cleanest shots. What I do is,
open the shutter for the first explosion, then as the streaks ends, I cover my lens with the black shirt while
the shutter is still open, then on succeeding explosions, take the cover out, to capture the fireworks then cover
again as the streaks ends. Try this at least 3 times then release the shutter and view. If you like your output,
do it again. Its actually a trial and error process.

Good luck on your fireworks shoot.

Hope this helps.