Christmas Parade Photoshoot Advice

gerfoto

Hello,
I am going to be participating on a christmas parade to take pictures. And, would like to know what lenses or flashes i need to use. I will be in constant move. I know it is challenging. I have a D7100 and a D600. Thanks for your help.

gerfoto

Hello Don,
It will be nighttime and I will be walking with the parade.
I have a lot of lenses.. :) but if you give me some guidance, like f-stop ? or the focal length, then i can look through my lenses. thanks for your help.

There are so many variables. Since you are going to be walking you are going to be close so you will probably need a wide angle to short tele zoom. If it were me I would use my 18-105. If it were a very brightly lit street I would try without the flash but you will probably be better off using a flash though.

carguy

Use a flash with a diffuser/modifier. Get people in the crowd, facial expressions, people interacting with the players/crowd. Enjoy!

Krs_2007

Good tips and I would also suggest get in front if possible to catch the floats coming into the frame, not from behind or leaving the frame. ISO will need to be up, but you might have to keep tweaking due to street lights and the lights on the floats. If it's like ones I have seen the flash may give the deer in the headlight look so that will be judgement call. Meaning if it's fairly dark and you introduce a bright flash then you may not get desire results. You might want to get the parade layout and drive the route beforehand.

fotojack

Both your cameras can handle high ISO's, so I would say around the 600 - 800 mark. Do you have time to practice, or is this happening real soon? If you have a 35mm 1.8 lens, I'd be using that, too, as well as the 18-105. A Tokina 11-16 would be ideal, too

gerfoto

Hi fotojack, not really. But i was thinking in going to downtown and take random pictures at night of people walking. Will the photos taken with an FX come up good with the Tokina 11-16 ?

Last edited: