D4, auto focus question

crp0499

Hi, I have a new D4, lens, etc and I'm having some difficulty finding out how to change one setting.

When I push the shutter button half-way, there is a single square in the middle that turns red. I know I can move this around the screen and pick that I want to focus on and that's all cool.

But, I know there is a way to set the camera so that when I press the shutter than nine little red squares will pop up and auto detect my subject and I've seen them move (sort of dance around) the screen as I move the camera around.

I cannot figure out how to get away from the single point of focus and get to the other setting where my focus points dance around.

How do I do that?

Thanks

​Cliff

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Cliff,

Did you not get a manual with the camera? Your answer is in that book. Take it out of the plastic bag and look at the index under "focus selection".

If you got a D4, I would think that you're old enough to understand that the D4 is a complex camera with endless possibilities. This is not a point and shoot camera. You will have to go through the manuals or youtube tutorials. I think the manual is better since it gets you to work with the camera in hand and what you learn you will remember.

​Enjoy your D4!

crp0499

:) I anticipated that response. Yes, it came with a book. I left the book in the plastic bag and downloaded the digital copy. Even after reading it, and I think understanding it, I still can't see how to change from the single point focus to the multiple point focus. I'm sorry to be so dense, but that's just the way it is for this problem. With the DS3 I seem to remember it being a tad simpler...

and while I know it's not a P&S, I still use it in P mode all the time. :)

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! You have the Nikon model I hope to eventually to get! So not having that camera I can only guess that you need to change the focus priority to 3D. But I'm still in the process of learning my much simpler Nikon models and so that I can only guess. I would skim through the manual to focus modes and how to activate the type of focus your needing.

Fred Kingston

Hold the focus button in...it's by your left hand on the front just by where the FX stamp is in the middle of the focus switch... and with your right hand, turn the front control wheel...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
OK, there is a little switch in the from of the camera bottom left when looking from the back. There is a lever to switch auto-focus modes AND, in the middle of the switch, there is a button that you press and while you're pressing on it rotate either the command or sub-command wheel will change the number of focusing targets.

​Welcome to Nikonites.

crp0499

Found it. Push in the center button on the AF/M switch on the front left, then rotate either of the two command switches and it changes various aspects of the auto focus. I played with a few of the settings and think I have a better grasp of the purpose of the focus selection. Thanks for the hint.

PS: yes, exactly. thank you both...I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Cowleystjames

Dancing around the screen is 3d tracking. As others have said press in the focus select button and use either of the command dials until you see 3d on the screen.
It'll now follow action on the focus.