My new D7100 a return?

HotHits

I think my new camera is a return, I say this because the screen has a raised piece of glass on the screen that looks like a screen protector. The outside appearance of the camera looks new but the screen protector makes me wonder why did someone return it. Should I return it for another one, I haven't found anything wrong with it but I'm no camera expert.:confused:

Mark F

Re: My new D7100?????????

Look at nthe EXIF data and see how many shutter clicks there are. That should give you some idea as if it were used or not.
Other than that... I'd take it back anyway. You put 2000.00 down on a camera, you want it to be pristine.

HotHits

Can you tell me how to do this on this camera.
Look at nthe EXIF data and see how many shutter clicks there are. That should give you some idea as if it were used or not.
Other than that... I'd take it back anyway. You put 2000.00 down on a camera, you want it to be pristine.

Nathan Lanni

I think my new camera is a return, I say this because the screen has a raised piece of glass on the screen that looks like a screen protector. The outside appearance of the camera looks new but the screen protector makes me wonder why did someone return it. Should I return it for another one, I haven't found anything wrong with it but I'm no camera expert.:confused:

There should be some other signs of the box being opened and/or the product being handled prior to you receiving it.

I'm sort of picky about the packaging for the little odds and ends such as the battery, strap, manual, etc. Typically, the plastic around those things won't have a wrinkle unless someone opened the box and handled the contents. Is it sealed and do the contents look neatly packed and orderly or does it look sort of haphazard? You should be able to see if someone messed with the box contents. Also, prior to you touching it did it have smudge marks on the LCD.

If you know you are buying used or open-box and get a discount that's one thing, but if you buy new and pay full price then I'd return it for exchange, or if distust the vendor, then return it and go somewhere else.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

Well, if you bought it locally, I'd just hop in and ask them. There is no way we can help you and whatever you'll be told on this forum, you should start by asking them if this was a returned unit. But, as others have written, take a picture and look at the exif to find out how many times the shutter was fired.

I would not be concerned since maybe, just maybe the camera was tried in the store and repacked, or, the screen protector just didn't stick all the way on the screen to start with.

This in no way would affect your warranty anyway, so I wouldn't loose sleep over this.

Dave_W

The Dude

Dumb question time - are you sure this "protector" isn't the thin sheet of plastic covering Nikon puts on all the glass surfaces of their new cameras?

Mark F

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about Nikon putting the factory screen protector on this camera... That said, I wonder if the Mom and Pop store put one on as a promotional thing. I know Adorama and others sell cameras with a give away package to get around Nikon's minimum sale pricing.

Last edited: