Applying screen protector to monitor

Denise Ireland

Hi

I've just tried to put on a screen protector on my new D3200 it wasn't going well so removed it all together but a bubble like spot is left on the screen. Any suggestions on what I can do to get the monitor back to the way it was? Much appreciation in advance for any help. Denise

Last edited:

WhiteLight

Hi

I've just tried to put on a screen protector on my new D3200 it wasn't going well so removed it all together but a bubble like spot is left on the screen. Any suggestions on what I can do to get the monitor back to the way it was? Much appreciation in advance for any help. Denise

Do you have the sticker on still? And putting it back gave you bubbles?
Air bubbles behind the screen guard can be a pain... At times it can be quite impossible to remove..
Advisable to take care while installing so the air bubbles don't get in. This is how I do it and probably most people too.. Remove only half the sticker of the guard and carefully place one edge of the guard on the edge of the screen accurately. Using either a credit card or a thick visiting card slowly push the card downwards while making sure no air bubbles get in...

Now that you've already gotten some air bubbles inside it MAY be possible to push them out using the same method.. It would be easier if the bubbles are near the edges so they can be pushed out easily..

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

BackdoorArts

I use glass and acrylic protectors by Vello on my cameras. They only seal at the edges and avoid direct contact with the screen, so no issues with bubbles ever. Bubbles are often the result of very small dust particles that are impossible to remove once they're stuck on. While this isn't necessarily a recommendation for electronics, in other applications of a similar nature I've sprayed Windex or another alcohol-based liquid and applied the plastic over that. The liquid allows minor movement to help in proper placement, and helps displace any dust that you might try and squeeze out. As it evaporates the adhesive should take over. I've used it to apply pickguards to acoustic guitars, stickers to car windows and similar stuff. If I were to do it on electronics (iPhone, etc) I would spray onto the guard and not the phone/camera.

Whiskeyman

If you can't squeeze the bubble out, try lifting that portion off of the screen and using a wetting agent to smooth it out. However, the use of a wetting agent might best be utilized with a complete removal, cleaning of the screen and new placement.

I tried using a flexible screen protector, and always ended up with the same problem that you're having. That's why my cameras now have glass screen protectors.

​WM

Nathan Lanni

Hi

Hi Denise and welcome to the forum.

You post is a little unclear (at least to me). Please tell if I'm reading your post correctly:

1) You installed an aftermarket screen protector, but completely removed it. However, somehow there is now a bubble in the original factory screen cover?

or

2) You made a second attempt to reinstall aftermarket screen protector and you have a bubble?

Last edited:

Cowleystjames

Don't see a point in using them, the majority of monitor glass on cameras are gorilla glass which is almost unscratchable. If you damage gorilla glass then I don't believe an aftermarket bit of plastic or glass would help save the day.

Bob Blaylock

Don't see a point in using them, the majority of monitor glass on cameras are gorilla glass which is almost unscratchable. If you damage gorilla glass then I don't believe an aftermarket bit of plastic or glass would help save the day.

I can tell you that the screen on my D3200 is most certainly not Gorilla Glass, nor any kind of glass. Alas, I discovered this by damaging it, in a manner that I wouldn't have been able to damage it if it was glass.

Having decided that I needed a screen protector on it, I improvised with one that was made for a Palm T|X. I put the protector on, and then used a sharp box-cutter to trim the edges of the protector. At some point, the blade slipped inward, cutting through the protector and into the screen itself.

I removed the damaged protector,and installed a fresh one, this time doing so very well, but as a result of this mishap, I now have a cut/scratch on the right side of my screen. Fortunately, it's not terribly prominent, but it's there. The blade that I was using would not have cut into any kind of glass, but it cuts very easily into any kind of plastic.

The dust that you see in this picture is actually in my scanner, that I used to take this picture. One of these days, I need to take my scanner apart and clean it out. I do not have any visible dust, bubbles, or other defects trapped between the screen protector and the screen; just that one cut/scratch indicated by the red arrow. It's a lot more visible in this image produced on my flatbed scanner than it is to look at it with my eyes. I can barely see it, if I try hard to specifically look for it, when the screen is on.

Untitled-1.jpg