Comet ISON is coming next month

Dave_W

The Dude
Comet ISON is an unusual class of comets called sungrazers reaching the sun on Nov 28 and will be closest to the earth on Dec 26, assuming the sun does not consume it. It has been suggested this comet will be as bright as a full moon in the sky and possibly visible in the daylight. But then again, it may just be a big fizzle, no one knows for sure. However, if it does make it around the sun chances are very good that it will be visible in the night sky even if it's not as bright as a full moon.

So we've all got about 1 1/2 month to perfect our night sky photography skills. Perhaps next month, with some luck, we'll all be posting amazing comet shots.

NASA page on ISON with a timeline and a very informative video

A Timeline Of Comet ISON?s Dangerous Journey | NASA

http://www.space.com/19973-comet-ison.html

RockyNH_RIP

Comet ISON is an unusual class of comets called sungrazers reaching the sun on Nov 28 and will be closest to the earth on Dec 26, assuming the sun does not consume it. It has been suggested this comet will be as bright as a full moon in the sky and possibly visible in the daylight. But then again, it may just be a big fizzle, no one knows for sure. However, if it does make it around the sun chances are very good that it will be visible in the night sky even if it's not as bright as a full moon.

So we've all got about 1 1/2 month to perfect our night sky photography skills. Perhaps next month, with some luck, we'll all be posting amazing comet shots.

NASA page on ISON with a timeline and a very informative video

A Timeline Of Comet ISON?s Dangerous Journey | NASA

http://www.space.com/19973-comet-ison.html

Dave, as always, thanks for sharing this kind of info... I, for one, would never know some of these things! :)

Pat in NH

Last edited by a moderator:

BackdoorArts

I remember Hale-Bopp lighting up the sky back in the 90's. Never got a picture of it. I'm ready for this one for sure. Hope it shows itself.

Roy1961

Contributor
cheers Dave, i remember that comet too jake, watched it then, never thought to take a picture, will sure try this time.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
This is from SpaceWeather.com

COMET NEWS: Observers around the world report that Comet ISON is now visible in binoculars. The comet is brightening as it plunges toward the sun for a perilous pass through the solar atmosphere on Nov. 28th. It is not, however, the brightest comet in the night sky. As November unfolds, there is a rare gathering of four comets rising in the east before dawn. Visit http://spaceweather.com to find out which one is outshining media-favorite ISON.

BackdoorArts

I've got to say that I'm getting more than a little annoyed with the weather. Clouds thwarted me Saturday and Sunday, and storms on Monday, but the Weather Channel promised perfectly clear skies in our area this morning, and given that the forecast had changed to that from "Mostly Clear" I was hopeful. Alas, when I woke at 4:15AM with gear packed and clothes to brave the 30 degree temps ready to go I was more than a little pissed to look up through the skylight and find not a star to be seen, only the pale reflection of lights from the town nearby against the clouds. Tomorrow may be my last shot at ISON before it travels around the sun, and I'm not sure if Lovejoy will be gone as well. Freakin' nature!! ;)

Just-Clayton

I too remember hale-bop. and Hayley's. I also got to wittness a very large meteor during hale bop. It went over our house and looked like a jumbo jet on fire. As a kid I would watch the sky for meteors and satellites. My cousin didn't believe me one night that the object we saw was a satellite. I told him to come out in about an hour and a half and I will show you the same object. Sure enough there it was. I hope for clear skies to catch this one.

BackdoorArts

For sky spotters, I saw this graphic today in the Huffington Post and it'll give you a decent idea where to look for ISON should it survive its close encounter with the sun today. If the day is clear you may be able to spot it close to the sun provided you take proper precautions (i.e. don't look into the sun).

ISONCometB-Proof_03.gif