Looking For Lens Recommendations.

NikonD3200

Whats up guys/gals.

New to the forum, and also DSLR's I have not had one for a few years and got bit by the bug again. I just picked up the D3200 with the kit lens. I am looking to upgrade the kit lens in the near future and would like some suggestions.

I like to shoot Landscapes and waterfalls/steams (moving water), as well as automobiles/Motorcycles and anything fun. Macro as well. Nothing really too in particular, just a hobby.

Could you recommend me a good upgrade from the kit lens under $300.

Thanks!

Mike D90

If I had $300 to spend on one lens I would be looking for a good used Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm macro lens. I am not even sure $300 would purchase a clean used piece. It apparently does many things with excellence and is about the finest macro available. No good for long distance stuff though but a cheaper 55-300mm VR lens would do fine.

Opinion from a newb to digital SLR's so take my advice with a grain of salt :eek:

Bill16

Welcome to nikonites! :D There is also the 35mm f2. I think it is in your budget used and should work well on the D3200! :)

Bill16

I've been wanting a AF version, so I've been looking at the prices. From what I seen the 105mm micro AF nikkor tends to run about $400 used. But a 105mm micro ai version can be bought within the budget mention, if a MF lens would fit the needs. It's not a true 1:1 but it is a sharp lens and I love mine. :)

If I had $300 to spend on one lens I would be looking for a good used Nikon Micro Nikkor 105mm macro lens. I am not even sure $300 would purchase a clean used piece. It apparently does many things with excellence and is about the finest macro available. No good for long distance stuff though but a cheaper 55-300mm VR lens would do fine.

Opinion from a newb to digital SLR's so take my advice with a grain of salt :eek:

nickt

If you are looking to replace the kit lens, I'd suggest the 18-105. Nice lens, it stays on my camera most of the time. If you are looking to add to your kit lens, then maybe a prime like the 35 or a macro or a zoom, depending what you want to do. For general purposes though I like the 18-105. You can get a refurb pretty cheaply.

ShootRaw

This pic was shot with my 50mm 1.8g..Was at f/3.5 1/1000 and Iso 2000
Click on pic for better res

Attachments

• untitled-1535.jpg
    untitled-1535.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 105

Horoscope Fish

Whats up guys/gals.

New to the forum, and also DSLR's I have not had one for a few years and got bit by the bug again. I just picked up the D3200 with the kit lens. I am looking to upgrade the kit lens in the near future and would like some suggestions.

I like to shoot Landscapes and waterfalls/steams (moving water), as well as automobiles/Motorcycles and anything fun. Macro as well. Nothing really too in particular, just a hobby.

Could you recommend me a good upgrade from the kit lens under $300.

Thanks!
The lens I use the most, by far, is my Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6. While I think every serious photographer should have a small arsenal of good primes (I found extreme joy with the 35mm and 85mm f/1.8G's, personally) the 18-105 is so freaking versatile I can't NOT suggest it. It's a Jack of all Trades, Master at None sort of lens that is on my camera by default and rarely needs to come off. I don't anyone who has this lens that doesn't love it.