First Commercial Gig A Success

BackdoorArts

I guess my friend wasn't just being nice when he told me how much he liked the product shots I did for him, because he emailed me today and asked if I'd be willing to fly to Vegas with him and do shots of business execs against a green screen for him to use in materials for a sales kick-off meeting in January. While I would have loved to spend a Thursday thru Saturday in Vegas with him, I thanked him for his confidence and told him he'd crossed my high water mark and was now sailing in waters well over my head. I told him that if it was local and I could bring in an assistant (i.e. my brother, who I'd need) then I'd consider it, but he'd have to pay him for his time plus fly us both out and rent lighting equipment there, so he'd save some serious money hiring local anyway.

But it felt good to get the call and know that there's work there if I want it - and am willing to get practiced up on it. "Maybe next year" is how I left it. He's a close friend and totally understands that this is really just a hobby, but after working with me that day he said, "If you ever want to make a go of this I'd be happy to help get your branding stuff together and be at the top of your client list. You're as professional as any of the guys I've worked with before.", which made me feel pretty darned good indeed. So I took him up on the branding offer and swapped service for service, telling him that I'd get some ideas together and we'd work on it early next year.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Fantastic Jake. Just play it cool and enjoy it before it comes too oppressive. When it's a full time job, sometimes we loose the pleasure of doing the work because we need the work so much. It puts pressure on top of creativity and it can burn someone up.

BackdoorArts

Fantastic Jake. Just play it cool and enjoy it before it comes too oppressive. When it's a full time job, sometimes we loose the pleasure of doing the work because we need the work so much. It puts pressure on top of creativity and it can burn someone up.

I suspect that if anything really comes of this short term it will be very limited work as I do have a full time day gig that provides for things like the mortgage and food on the table. But if the cost of the hobby can be better than self-sustaining then I'd gladly take it. One step at a time.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Congratulations! I was impressed with the photos you showed us, and I'm glad to hear he was, too! :)