Recommendation on External Flash- On a budget

kbhoffman

I am new to this forum thing but I thought I would give it a try. Photography is a hobby of mine but has slowly become incorporated into my job as a graphic designer. I am still learning a lot about photography and how to set my aperature/shutter speed in order to get the correct exposure. I have recently been asked by my employer to do a photo shoot of three owners of a restaurant for our magazine cover and I am very nervous about it because I am not sure what the lighting situation is inside the restaurant. Long story short I think it might help for me to invest in a external flash. However I am on a budget and can't really afford the Nikon Flashes right now. Is there anyone who can recommend a simple third party flash that can be mounted on my camera but also used as a slave later on if I want? I own a Nikon D5000 so it would have to be a flash that works with that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

singlerosa_RIP

Here's a link that lists a bunch of compatible flashes. (probably many other sites like this, but this one was first on my Google search for CLS flashes)

Flash Units for Nikon | DPanswers

Your D5000 pop up flash will not control a remote flash. You'll need to buy one that can serve as master and slave.

Good luck.

Mike D90

I suggest keeping an eye on eBay for a good used SB-600. I missed one the other day for $125.00 shipped free. Still kicking myself. There were three for sale by the same seller and they were gone in 15 minutes.

What I ended up with was a Sunpak PZ40X for about $40.00. I should have bought a PZ42X to get TTL function.