Macro Ring Flash Question.

Scott Murray

What are you going to be using them for? Insect macros? Or mainly flowers etc? The reason I am asking this is because you need a good diffuser with these flashes as to not blow out portions of the insect/bug. With most macro set ups you can get away with a speedlight and a homemade diffuser / Snoot that directs the light slightly in front and above the object you are photographing. Click the above link to see images of such.

HotGates

What are you going to be using them for? Insect macros? Or mainly flowers etc? The reason I am asking this is because you need a good diffuser with these flashes as to not blow out portions of the insect/bug. With most macro set ups you can get away with a speedlight and a homemade diffuser / Snoot that directs the light slightly in front and above the object you are photographing. Click the above link to see images of such.
I will be using for both, when I was with Canon I had the canon ring flash that worked pretty good for macro, I do have a SB-910 AND SB-800.

Scott Murray

I will be using for both, when I was with Canon I had the canon ring flash that worked pretty good for macro, I do have a SB-910 AND SB-800.
Well honestly I would look at some homemade diffusers etc before outlaying $$$$'s for a ring flash. I was going to do the same but have found that even my onboard flash with the right diffuser works a treat.