D7100 "too much" camera to start with?

panthers65

Forgive me if its been asked, but search wasn't pulling up anything direct, only comparisons between other cameras.

My wife wants to get into photography. Strictly of the kids now (portraits of them, plus 7 year old swimming and gymnastics), but is a stay at home mom and wants to eventually to family/baby shoots for family and friends for some extra spending money. Also would push her artistic side with some nature shots, but that is secondary.

We're in the states, I was looking at starting out with a d7100 and a 35mm 1.8, as I've heard the 18-55 isn't worth much, and eventually getting a better zoom lens.

I know the d3200 has some more user friendly features, are these worth getting the 3200 over the 7000 or 7100 as a starter DSLR? I want to make sure her starting out isn't so difficult that she looses interest early on, but also that she doesn't outgrow the camera too quickly and wanting something new in 6 months.

Mainly looking for guidance. I'm okay with the extra cost of a 7000/7100 vs a 3200 or 5100, especially if that means I can buy some cheaper glass because they have the internal motors. Also going to get her a few camera books and sign her up for a photography class.

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

The D7000 or D7100 can be a bit overwhelming for someone who has not been into photography. I started with the D3100 and then went to the D5100 and have just added a D7000. The camera/Lens combination I would suggest would be the D5100 with a 18-105 zoom. That will give you the features and still be more user friendly to start with.

carguy

Welcome. Swimming & gymnastics tells me indoor activites, might require low light photography. I'd look at the D5200/5300 depending on budget. D7100 if you can spend more and want more control at your fingertips :)

Tapp'n on the go

panthers65

Thanks, I filled out what little I could, but like I said, very little in the way of photography.

I know she wouldn't get much use out of the 7100's features, especially right off the bat. In fact about the only two things that would probably help initially is the internal zoom motor and the tougher construction/water resistance of the 7100. I swear she could break a rubber ball in a padded cell....

More so, is the 7100 so overwhelming that she could get more frustrated with it than she would a 3200 or the like, and are the 3200's beginner features really that good and helping a newbie out? Don't get me wrong, I'm more than okay with spending 1/3 of what I would spend on a 7100, but even at $3-400 I'm considering this a decent size purchase and want to make sure I do it right.

Edit: thanks, the light was one thing I was looking at. Swimming is outdoor late afternoon/evening. It will be low light in a year or two, but typically pretty bright while she's swimming. The older they get, the later they wait to swim. Gym is definitely inside and lighting would be a consideration.-Is the 5XXX series more user friendly than the 7XXX series? There's only $300 difference between the two, and I"ll make up at least $100 of that when I buy the 1.8 lens.

Last edited:

ShootRaw

Spring for the new D5300..$800 and opt for the 50mm 1.8G....This camera will be pretty close in image quality of the D7100 for $400 less..This lens will be more suited towards Portrait work being at 75mm focal on the Dx cameras(1.5 crop factor)...The 50mm is alittle sharper as well then the 35mm..

Bill16

I admit for myself, I would have bought a much better model when I started out if I could have afforded it. But I'm sorta glad I didn't start off with a real pro model, and I would have to agree with Don.I think the D5100 is a great first Nikon! :)
I just got one and I'm loving mine so far, and it isn't so hard to get started with as a higher end model might be for a newbie.
By the way, Welcome to nikonites! :D

panthers65

Thanks guys, Other than price is the anything that would sway me to the 5100/5200/5300 as opposed to the 7100? I found a refurbed 7100 for just under $900, and I'm more than okay with getting her a refurbished camera, especially if it is from a authorized seller.

Bill16

Just that they likely will be more newbie friendly. Otherwise I would go for the D7100 or a full frame like the D610. :)
Thanks guys, Other than price is the anything that would sway me to the 5100/5200/5300 as opposed to the 7100? I found a refurbed 7100 for just under $900, and I'm more than okay with getting her a refurbished camera, especially if it is from a authorized seller.

ShootRaw

Well the D5300 is the latest camera and has some new features like Wifi and expeed 4 processor..They removed the low pass filter just like they did on the D7100 for sharper images..It will be using the same 24mp sensor that the D7100 uses..D7100 is weather sealed,two sd card slots, and has a focusing motor ..(helpful on using old manual lenses)If you don't need that then the choice is clear.. For what your describing..Get the D5300 and don't look back..

panthers65

Well the D5300 is the latest camera and has some new features like Wifi and expeed 4 processor..They removed the low pass filter just like they did on the D7100 for sharper images..It will be using the same 24mp sensor that the D7100 uses..D7100 is weather sealed,two sd card slots, and has a focusing motor ..(helpful on using old manual lenses)If you don't need that then the choice is clear.. For what your describing..Get the D5300 and don't look back..

Thanks, the Wifi is a cool feature, but I just found the little adapters that let you use Wifi on the 3200's also. I"m beginning to see the problem in starting out with a 7000/7100.

I know this isn't the 5XXX forum, but for your guys recommending the 5300, would she really see a big enough benefit in the first 6mo-1year of a $800 D5300 over a $450 D3200. I know it doesn't make sense, but I"m much happier spending $900 on a $1200 camera than I am spending $800 on an $800 camera, especially if it puts her in a better spot later on. I like the "deal".

Does the "guide mode" that comes on the 3200 come on the 5300 also? (or more important, is the guide mode really so great that I should be considering it all when picking out her first camera?)

WayneF

Other than price is the anything that would sway me to the 5100/5200/5300 as opposed to the 7100?

I would say No, the only reason not to want the D7100 would be price. You indicated that price was not much problem, so what is there to discuss? :)

The idea of "too much camera" is false. No such thing if you actually want to learn photography. What you don't need at first, you grow into. You mentioned your wife wants to get into photography (implying learning something, not just taking snapshots), and will take a photo class. Better tools are a great thing to have. D7100 has all the same features as the lesser models, so it doesn't miss anything. It does have more features, which at worst, could be ignored. It has more convenient controls (buttons), no downside there. We do have to pay for what we get, which is the only downside.

Consider an old analogy, wanting to buy a car to learn to drive. Let's say the dated choices are Chevy or Cadillac. Is the Cadillac too much car? Not if you can afford it. It has more features, more power, better ride and comfort, better air conditioning, better stereo, etc. Not sure what all, but do those prevent learning to drive? Of course not. Now, yes, a Ferrari might be too much car for driving lessons. but that much car is not being discussed. Will the Chevy be enough to learn some things? Sure, but if we do learn anything, then in a month or two, we start yearning for more features and convenience. :)

Basically, what the D7100 has is more menus and buttons, which can be ignored... or not.

Here is a comparison of some Nikon models
Nikon D7100 vs D5200 vs D3200 - Which camera is for you?

That mentions 51 point sensor (only for action, like sports or flying birds), and the 100% viewfinder, but the review is not nearly as good as it may appear. It does not mention the big stuff that the D7100 has:

1. Sub command wheel (front wheel) so aperture and shutter speed are on different wheels)
2. The Commander to control remote wireless flashes (useful like in umbrellas for better portraits)
3. That also comes with the FV Lock feature.
4. Fancy stuff like Interval Timer or HDR mode
5. Iternal motor for non-AF-S lenses
6. MUP (mirror lockup, but Live View has largely replaced it)
etc..

1 & 2 & 3 are biggies. Re: 1 With only one wheel, if camera Manual mode, to set Aperture, you hold down a top button while rotating the shutter speed wheel. Awkward, the pits. Those always using only the Auto modes may never realize it however.

Nikon makes us pay for the options we want. :) D7100 Has pretty much anything you could want, but these are just menus which can simply be ignored until you want them, and then when you do, you don't have to upgrade again. :)

Last edited:

snaphappy

I'm a stay at home mom and my first camera was D7000 in Jan. I'd never used an SLR before and knew nothing about photography. I only take photos for myself and my family because I enjoy it. The learning has been frustrating at times but also very rewarding. I really love to have control of my photos. I chose the 7000 (there was no 7100 at the time) because of the dual memory slots, the extra controls, and autofocus motor. The controls can seem a bit overwhelming at first but now I use them every single shot I take and would never go to a menu type like 5xxx or 3xxx nor do I think I'd have progressed with the menu type. I also really liked the autofocus motor allowing me to pick up old used nikon mount lenses and still be able to auto focus with them. Just my opinion but thought I'd share since I seem to be a lot like your wife. The best gift you could get her is save the $ from lenses and get her a class at the local college it sure helped and hooked me on the hobby. If she got a 7xxx model she could pick up and use some great older used lenses when she figures out what she wants to use after playing with her kit lens. I still use my kit lens a lot and much better for her to learn and find out what she really needs once she figures out the camera.

Last edited:

crycocyon

So here's my take. When I had a D700 my wife was bugging me to use it and I wasn't too keen. So I got her a D7000. I had at the time considered a D5100 but one thing I was concerned about was if she bumped it or dropped it a short distance. I wanted something a little bit more rugged and the D7000/D7100 have metal in the bodies and are weather-sealed like the higher end models. So I thought ok so if it gets a little wet by mistake or bumped around when she's having fun with her friends, then I don't have to worry as much about it. The bonus for me was that I got a pretty good back up camera to my then D700 and now D800. The focus is fast, exposure is amazing, and just overall the size and capability makes it a very rewarding package for more casual shooting. It was my wife's first camera ever and she wasn't a photographer apart from with her iPhone. I just put it in program or aperture priority and she does fine with it. She never consults the menu, for example, but gets very nice shots of her friends with it. I also got her a battery grip because my D700 at the time had one and she wouldn't settle for anything less than something like my camera, LOL. So there are my two bits....

Oh ya, and the D7000 had the internal focus motor and the D5100 did not and I wanted full compatibility with all AF Nikon lenses.

Geoffc

I think several people have now given very good reasons to get the D7100 if money is not a problem. It can be just as automatic as any of the lower end models, but will allow more advanced use as and when required. You will never be wondering "will my D7100 support that feature?". I bought my wife a D300 5 years ago and she gravitated to it from a point and shoot. Even though she recently bought a D7100 because she wanted a new sensor, the D300 is still there and proved to be a good investment because it never limited her.

A big thing to consider is the better autofocus on the D7100. It's very quick, even in low light. I had a D600 and it's much better than that camera which is supposed to be a level up.

Unless you have a very large house, 50mm on a DX will be a pain as it's too close. Even the 35mm can feel tight indoors on occasion if the kids are running around. I would suggest an 18-105. You can get a fast third party (sigma or Tamron) 17-50 lenses which are nice but a bit more or the Nikon 18-200 if you really want flexibility. 90% of my wife's photos have been with the 18-200. The 105 is not much more expensive than a 50mm and you can buy the body and 105 kit cheaper.

The final consideration is a flash. As my D7100/18-105 kit suggestion is within the original budget, a SB700 flash will turn your indoor snaps into much more pro looking images as you can bounce the light off wall and ceilings. Maybe that's stage two, but keep it in mind.

Jonathan

This is all good stuff. I am seriously considering upgrading my D3100 to the D7100. I feel I am ready to go to the next level, which usually means that it's time I did.

Update: Indeed, I have just placed a £780 bid for a D7100 on eBay (starting at just under £500).

Last edited:

Geoffc

This is all good stuff. I am seriously considering upgrading my D3100 to the D7100. I feel I am ready to go to the next level, which usually means that it's time I did.

Update: Indeed, I have just placed a £780 bid for a D7100 on eBay (starting at just under £500).

I'd look at Jessops or any other UK store that's got the Nikon £100 cash back running. Ou could get a body for £739 or kit with 18-105mm for £899.

Jonathan

Thanks Geoffc - that occurred to me whilst in the shower just now!

AND I've just noticed the buy-it-now price is £650 - kerching!

nickt

My 2 cents for a great starter kit, like others have recommended... D7100, 18-105, 35mm, sb-700 flash. She can do a lot with that. Great versatile tools. If you don't want that all at once, then just the camera and 18-105.

Definitely get your wife some books or training. I would recommend studying a book like 'Understanding Exposure' BEFORE even reading the camera manual. The manual will make much more sense if she understands exposure. Much of the camera user manual is devoted to explaining the tools in the camera to control exposure. If you don't fully fully understand the concepts of exposure, its hard to get an appreciation for the great controls available in the camera. This is where most people get lost and feel like they bought too much camera. The manual does not teach you about exposure or photography, it just explains the camera features in detail.

In lieu of an exposure book:
Exposure | Understanding Exposure - ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed Explained
Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO, & Light Explained-Understanding Exposure & Camera Settings - YouTube
If these links interest your wife and she understands these concepts, then the d7100 is not 'too much' camera. Not understanding these basics could lead to frustration with the camera. This is not to say you can't take great pictures without knowing this stuff, but if you buy a great set of tools, you should use them. Even if you go with a d5x00, it will still pay to spend a few hours learning about exposure.

WayneF

We're in the states, I was looking at starting out with a d7100 and a 35mm 1.8, as I've heard the 18-55 isn't worth much, and eventually getting a better zoom lens.

Not getting a zoom would be a major mistake. 35 mm is considered a "normal" lens, back in the day when all we had was prime lenses. But it cannot do wide angle and it cannot do telephoto. That is quite limiting in the general case.

Come the day the skill level is sufficient to imagine needing a f/1.8 lens, then add one, but start with a zoom, for more range.

carguy

Not getting a zoom would be a major mistake. 35 mm is considered a "normal" lens, back in the day when all we had was prime lenses. But it cannot do wide angle and it cannot do telephoto. That is quite limiting in the general case.

Come the day the skill level is sufficient to imagine needing a f/1.8 lens, then add one, but start with a zoom, for more range.

I'm planning to get my son (6) started soon with my D40 and a prime. I only had a 50mm f1.2 with my Minolta XG1 back in the day.

Tapp'n on the go