Extension Tubes

ian2611

Hey all, first time on here, so please be gentle...I have a D3100 and having loads of fun with it. I recently purchased some extension tubes on ebay that were supposedly compatible with Nikon cameras. I received them yesterday and when I went to try them out, my camera says no lens connected.

I am using a Tamron 70-300mm telemacro lens. I have even tried it with the supplied 18-55mm nikon lens that came with the camera.

any suggestions why it would not work

Cheers

​Ian

Lawrence

What mode are you in? You probably have to forego some auto functions so start off on M (manual) see if that finds the lens.

WeeHector

Hey all, first time on here, so please be gentle...I have a D3100 and having loads of fun with it. I recently purchased some extension tubes on ebay that were supposedly compatible with Nikon cameras. I received them yesterday and when I went to try them out, my camera says no lens connected.

I am using a Tamron 70-300mm telemacro lens. I have even tried it with the supplied 18-55mm nikon lens that came with the camera.

any suggestions why it would not work

Cheers

​Ian

First of all you need to see if your rings have electrical contacts on them. Most cheap sets don't have them and you have to use Manual mode. If they do have the contacts then make sure they are clicking properly into place. Mine were stiff the first time I used them and I had to give them a sharp twist. They work totally freely now. You'll only really be able to use them in Manual or Aperture modes as you need to set to at least f/16 to get any DOF. Switch your AF off as you can't really focus the lens. You need to move the camera in and out to get into focus.

STM

Do these tubes have electrical contacts on them? If not, then communication between the lens and camera would be lost, giving you that error. It sounds like you will have to work in manual. Do the latest lenses even allow you to manually change aperture if they are not connected to the camera? They don't have an aperture ring any more.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I bought the KENKO extension tubes at my local camera shop. They were more expensive but have electrical contacts to make all my lenses work like a charm. Sometimes you get your money's worth.

WeeHector

Do these tubes have electrical contacts on them? If not, then communication between the lens and camera would be lost, giving you that error. It sounds like you will have to work in manual. Do the latest lenses even allow you to manually change aperture if they are not connected to the camera? They don't have an aperture ring any more.

Even though there is no electrical feedback they should at least have an aperture lever which will work in manual mode. Otherwise you have just bought a very expensive Pringles can. The lens is considered "not connected" only for automatic modes.

fotojack

And for those of you with the extension tubes that have the electrical contacts, here's a little tip: use dielectric grease on the contacts, and even on the mating surfaces of metal connections, to make installing smoother and easier. I'm talking a micro thin layer here...don't slather it on! :) This even works on all lenses with metal connections. Prevents corrosion of metal surfaces.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
And for those of you with the extension tubes that have the electrical contacts, here's a little tip: use dielectric grease on the contacts, and even on the mating surfaces of metal connections, to make installing smoother and easier. I'm talking a micro thin layer here...don't slather it on! :) This even works on all lenses with metal connections. Prevents corrosion of metal surfaces.

Any brand to suggest Jack. I've never seen it at Canadian Tire, or I should say never looked for it. :)

fotojack

Any brand to suggest Jack. I've never seen it at Canadian Tire, or I should say never looked for it. :)

No particular brand name, Marcel. You will find it in the automotive section at Canadian Tire. At Home Depot or Rona or Lowe's, it would be in the electrical department.