Newbie here HELP

astyanaktas2005

Hi my friends i have bought my first DSLR D5200 with Tamron 17-50 mm VC 2,8 lens associated. I am a bit disappointed with image sharpness and i guess i am doing sth wrong. Any advice from experienced users or any thread - link available to read? I am mostly interested for landscape photo-shooting. For example check this photo: 500px / Athens seaside by sakis karistos (aperture here was quite closed) or here 500px / Flowers by sakis karistos

Could i somehow improve sharpness? Sometimes you know you cant use tripod so any tricks, techniques you can suggest?? many thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

The first photo is in the dark so no way to tell what was going on there and the second picture has extremely narrow depth of field. So again hard to tell what was supposed to be in focus. Try shooting something outside in bright sun and at F8 or smaller and upload it here so we can see it without going to a different site.

​Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

astyanaktas2005

thank you Don i completed profile and in upcoming days i will upload sth. But first photo wasnt night i just made it look like night, maybe this manipulation somehow destroyed picture!

nickt

Are you shooting jpg? If so, try going into your picture control and crank up the sharpness a bit. Look in your manual for picture control, choose one like normal, vivid, portrait, landscape, etc. Then for whatever one you choose, you can go on to customize it with additional sharpness and other aspects.
Also try single point focus on the flower shot and make sure you are on the flower and not the rock. A higher f-stop will give greater depth of field along with backing further away to ensure the entire flower is in focus. Your shutter speed looks good. You might do a little better on the beach with a lower f-stop. I don't know that lens, but it might give less sharpness at f18.

Last edited: