Help me, going to buy a 70-300mm lens

skkar_2k2

Hi,
I am new in this photography world. Now I am going to buy a 70-300mm lens for my D3200 camera. And I came across 2 types of lens. Below are the links:

Tamron lens: cost is INR 8990
Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro (for Nikon Digital SLR) Lens - Tamron: Flipkart.com

Nikon lens - 1: cost is INR 6120
Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (4.3x) Lens - Nikon: Flipkart.com

Nikon lens - 2: cost is INR 29950
Nikon AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x) Lens - Nikon: Flipkart.com

I am very confused to understand what is the different in them? One thing understand that for Nikon lens - 2, it has VR zoom which other don't have. But how tamron is costlier than Nikon lens - 1?

Can you please suggest which one is best to buy with low budget?

Thanks,
Santosh

Pretzel

For a long zoom like that, you WILL want the Nikon with the VR (Vibration Reduction) to help keep a steady shot, compensate for hand shake,and avoid blur, unless you're on a very steady tripod for all of your shots. The same feature on a Tamron is labelled as VC (Vibration Compensation), which it doesn't appear is on the Tamron lens you listed.

I think the reason the Tamron is a bit more expensive is because of the Macro function, which will allow you to focus on subjects from a bit closer than normal, although only on focal lengths of 180mm or more.

Depends on what you're wanting to shoot? Mostly macros - go for the Tamron and use a tripod. Anything else? Get the VR Nikon.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

skkar_2k2

ohh, I see. Thanks for the good explanation. So I think the body which does have auto-focus is costlier than the one which does not. But in other hand buying many lens with auto-focus built in it would be more costly and so it's not a good choice to buy a camera without auto-focus in-built which I did buying a D3200. Didn't I

skkar_2k2

Finally bought Nikon AF-S DX nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens. Hope this is a better lens for Mu D3200 camera.

Thanks everyone for their valuable comments and suggestions.

marce

Turbary Wood Owl Sanctury - a set on Flickr
All taken with 55-300mm, any soft focusing was the photographers (mine) fault. I think to tell the difference between the lenses you would have to take hyper critical shots of test cards in controlled conditions, for day to day shots on a D3200 any difference would be small and probably only noticeable if you pixel peep.
I do like this lens, and apart from my primes its the only other lens I use. *Though I do want a wide angle zoom, Santa:))

skkar_2k2

Turbary Wood Owl Sanctury - a set on Flickr
All taken with 55-300mm, any soft focusing was the photographers (mine) fault. I think to tell the difference between the lenses you would have to take hyper critical shots of test cards in controlled conditions, for day to day shots on a D3200 any difference would be small and probably only noticeable if you pixel peep.
I do like this lens, and apart from my primes its the only other lens I use. *Though I do want a wide angle zoom, Santa:))

Nice photos. But looks they are taken not much from far distance. Can you please share me some more photos where you have used high power zoom using the 50-300 lens?

Last edited:

marce

Most were over 150mm, I will have to look at the EXIF data in lightroom to double check, unless it is available on Flickr