Should there be a class action suit against Nikon over the D600

• Yes

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters

Browncoat

Abso-freakin-lutely.

That said, I don't think any lawyer would touch it. Class action suits are usually handled by major law firms who stand to gain millions, even billions in damages...but those damages are typically for exposure to health risks or bodily harm: Families of coal miners, workers exposed to asbestos, experimental medicines gone wrong, etc.

​D600 owners were merely "inconvenienced" in the eyes of the law, as Nikon offered free repairs, then outmoded the troubled camera model. I don't know that such a suit would hold up in court.

Horoscope Fish

​D600 owners were merely "inconvenienced" in the eyes of the law, as Nikon offered free repairs, then outmoded the troubled camera model. I don't know that such a suit would hold up in court.
Once you take all the emotion out of the equation, and intensity counts for *nothing*, this is what you're left with.

carguy

No way no how. Nikon fixes every camera without issue, sometimes more than once. This country is way too lawsuit happy.

Carolina Photo Guy

There is a known problem with the D600 that Nikon should have issued a recall on so that they could have repaired all of them. If you do a google search you will see a lot on the subject.

Let me google that for you

​What do you think?

YES there should be a Class Action Lawsuit! All those POOR LAWYERS out there starving to death!

You take a look at EVERY class action lawsuit and the ONLY people that make anything out of them are those thieving lawyers! Usually the consumer is screwed with a $50.00 or $100.00 coupon on your next purchase. Take a $100.00 off of a $4000.00 camera! Well, I'm all aquiver with excitement!

stmv

it would be nice,, if say,, Nikon offered every Nikon 600 user a coupon replacement of say 1000 dollars for a one for one trade,, I once had a bad Canon Powershop, that I sent in for repair, and they called me back, and said,, well for a 100 dollars they would switch me to the newer version,, which I did, and was totally happy,,

Nikon would so thrill every 600 user if they did that,, and then heck,, they can offer a resell of the 600 or scrap

but,, the cameras stores would not be happy,, they would perceive loss sales, but I think it would help the brand, and frankly
those poor 600 customers will be forced to hold onto their cameras since I am sure the 600 price will drop like a lead weight.

on the other hand, if you are not afraid of some tissue and cleaning fluid,, might be a great time to pick up a cheap 600 in say a year.

Mark F

I read it. Looks more like a billing/service error charging you for a cleaning.

Nikon is fixing the cameras, not dodging their responsibility.

For some, this camera went into the shop several times for the same issue.
Sure, nikon fixed it.. Each and every time they sent the camera in. And I think nikon should not have thrown them under the bus and recall this camera for those that have the problem. Thing is, if they don't fix the problem and people send the camera in again after warranty has expired, they will be billed for something that nikon should have recognized as a manufacturing problem. They are not doing that.. They decided to just come up with the d610 and let d600 owners deal with the problems with their bank account.
I don't have this issue with the shutter... But I am seeing first hand how nikon is dealing with it. I sent my camera in for a cleaning checkup that has always been a warranty thing. The tech working on the camera said it didn't need it and charged me 150.00 for doing nothing. Nikon service has changed over the past few years. I've had good service with the el segundo service center. When they moved and started calling it nikon la, service and customer service went down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill16

I believe Nikon could make a much better showing as mentioned, but I wouldn't bother with a lawsuit also for reasons already stated.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Any word on whether Nikon is replacing D600 shutters with D610 shutters, or if that is even possible?

Mark F

Any word on whether Nikon is replacing D600 shutters with D610 shutters, or if that is even possible?

Even if that is possible... which it probably is, along with removing the AA filter... I don't think they would do that as it would change the specs of the d600.

Horoscope Fish

Even if that is possible... which it probably is, along with removing the AA filter... I don't think they would do that as it would change the specs of the d600.
Wouldn't the cheap solution be to use something like a grease to lube the shutter box instead of oil?

My thinking being a more viscous lube = no splatter = problem solved. And cheaply.

Horoscope Fish

You don't shoot in the cold, do you?
I don't, but there are numerous greases that operate just fine in extreme temperature settings. The lithium grease in my tool box is rated for -22 to +350 degrees F. I think that would pretty much cover it and while this may not be the correct lube for this situation I'm confident the current technology affords us a solution.

BackdoorArts

My understanding is that the D610 shutter is completely different and would not work with the D600. If it did then I suspect they would have simply used it in the D600 and retrofit anything sent back. If the D600 shutter was a "fixable" situation I suspect they would have remedied it, but to my eyes and ears it appears that mechanism couldn't be tweaked "as is", or that the manufacturer (which I'm assuming was a contractor) couldn't supply a consistent level of QC. I don't absolve Nikon for the way in which they handled the situation, but I can understand recognizing that they needed to move past it. What they didn't need to do was leave D600 owners in the dust.

As for a suit, I'm not a fan of making lawyers rich. There are lemon laws that might apply to owners who send them back multiple times with no correction, and extended warrantees through some credit card companies could cover an extra trip or two, but it's a major hassle regardless. What bothers me most is that those in industry tend to call it a "dust issue" when there's nothing I've seen that implies that the D600 is more succeptible to dust than any other camera. The problem is a shutter issue, but to call it that invites lawsuits like the one suggested. Nikon did their research in how to follow things up, fixing the issue that was an issue (the shutter) and one that likely wasn't (sealing), instilling some level of confidence in the new model and burying the old in the dust without ever admiting guilt. With the D600/610, the lawyers that put that release package together are the ones that made money.

Browncoat

In all honesty, the best way for displeased customers to thumb their noses at Nikon would be to just switch to Canon. Nothing would ever come of a lawsuit.

Nikon counted on brand loyalty here, and they're still laughing all the way to the bank. This foul up isn't even really on their radar, because as much as we bitch and moan about it...98% of us aren't willing to switch brands anyway. The grass certainly isn't greener on the other side, as Canon has done this type of thing in the past as well. As far as I know, lemon laws vary widely from state to state, and some don't even have them at all. At the end of the day, this is just a consumer product, a gadget. It's not a defective vehicle that poses a threat to lives. A bogus camera shutter is pretty tame in the grand scheme of things.

I feel for all you D600 guys. This is exactly the reason I don't pounce on new products the moment they become available, because 9 times out of 10, there are kinks that still haven't been worked out yet.

Dave_W

The Dude
I don't, but there are numerous greases that operate just fine in extreme temperature settings. The lithium grease in my tool box is rated for -22 to +350 degrees F. I think that would pretty much cover it and while this may not be the correct lube for this situation I'm confident the current technology affords us a solution.

There have been some anecdotal evidence that the problem is one of degradation of the shutter material itself, either solely being the cause of this problem or a problem that is in concert with any oil coming out of the shutter box. Following Hippie's thoughts, I doubt there was anything Nikon could do short of a redesign in order to fix it, again arguing that it was more than just oil. And it would seem that redesigning it was exactly what they did. It would have been great PR if they had offered verified owners of the D600 a coupon for a discount on a new D610, that would go a long way in assuaging hurt feelings as well as boosting their sales numbers. Seems a no-brainer for a non-business major like myself, but hey...what do I know??

Moab Man

Absolutely not! First, Nikon seems to be reasonably doing what they should be doing. As the person waiting on our own camera it can never be fast enough and seldom do we feel like they have done enough. But, as an outside person not involved, from what I have read and witnessed Nikon seems to have been reasonable.

Second, and more important than the first, I am against all class action law suits. The people harmed see pennies. The lawyers that try these cases are all too happy as they my hundred dollar bills to our pennies in restitution. As the offended party you're really no better off than when you started. However, the lawyer has a huge payday and can move on to the next.

Maybe it's luck of the draw, but I can't tell you how many class action lawsuits I have been covered by and didn't bother wasting my time to even cash the check sent to me. I would love to compare my little pittance of compensation check to the lawyers. I'm sure his wasn't so small that he felt it wasn't worth his time.