Weird D3200 video problem. (Either than or I'm going insane.)

sensh

Hey all! I'm new to the forum and searched for this topic to see if anyone else is having the issue, but couldn't find anything. Hope someone else has experienced it, or knows what I'm doing wrong...

My D3200 works magnificently as a camera. Still photos, no issues. When trying to shoot video, however, a strange thing happens.

Most of the time I am shooting video the camera is on a tripod. When I hit record, the camera starts recording correctly, and the "REC" message flashes. And for short clips, no problems. But when recording longer clips (two to five minutes, for example) sometimes the "REC" light will stop flashing on its own and the camera will stop recording. (The live view is still active, and everything looks normal - almost as if I had pressed the button again to stop recording. And if I DO press the record button, it will start recording again normally. But at some point in the video, it stopped recording on its own.)

If I go back and look at the partial clip, it is there and I can view it normally. It's a short clip of excellent quality that looks and sounds totally normal, except that it ends in the middle of what I wanted to record.

All the normal stuff is normal. The battery is fully charged, etc. Everything seems completely normal. I can shoot still photos all day long and nothing strange ever happens. And SOMETIMES I can shoot long clips of video with no problems. Other times, most times in fact, it just turns itself off.

Anyone know what's going on? I am somewhat clueless when it comes to video, so it's very possible I have some kind of setting wrong, but I can't find anything in the camera that seems to address this. And when I start recording the timer starts counting down from 20 minutes, which seems to indicate that my maximum clip length should be twenty minutes... But it's not.

Hop you can help, and thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Paul

Brandonberg

Welcome to the forum.

Are you working in warm or excessive temp environments? I believe the 20 Min limit is to allow the camera to cool due to hot circuits. If you are already working in a hot environment your camera may reach its maximum operating temp earlier and shut off for safety. Anything in your user manual?

-Brandon

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

sensh

Read the manual? Are you daft?! lol

Actually, the manual does say something about "recording may end prematurely due to card write speeds," and I have a feeling tho may be key to the issue. But my card is a 32GB SanDisk Pro, Class 10. It seems to me that it should be fine...

Brandonberg

Read the manual? Are you daft?! lol

Actually, the manual does say something about "recording may end prematurely due to card write speeds," and I have a feeling tho may be key to the issue. But my card is a 32GB SanDisk Pro, Class 10. It seems to me that it should be fine...

I find it hard to believe it's your class 10 card causing the issues especially since you describe the problem as intermittent. Much more likely is that it is temperature related. That's not to say you don't couldn't have a faulty card. Do you have another cards you could test? Process of elimination.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 (GT-N5110) using Tapatalk

nickt

Do you format your cards often (and in-camera)? I erase pictures by formatting the card each time. I'm not sure if that will help, but it won't hurt. Messy 'housekeeping' on the card could slow things down.

sensh

Thanks, guys. I pulled the card out to check it, and I was wrong, it's a cheapie PNY that (despite being labeled as class 10) promises just 20MB/s write speeds, and I have a feeling this was the issue.

I just put in a 60MB/sec Lexar, and although I haven't checked it yet, I have a feeling this is the issue.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time, but thanks for hoping me work through it.

Cheers,
Paul

Bob Blaylock

Do you format your cards often (and in-camera)? I erase pictures by formatting the card each time. I'm not sure if that will help, but it won't hurt. Messy 'housekeeping' on the card could slow things down.

I wouldn't expect that to be an issue on a flash card. It can be an issue on a hard drive, because as the data get into a less and less orderly arrangement, you get more delays from the heads having to move around from track to track, or waiting for the next sector to come under the heads. An SD card wouldn't have these mechanical issues.

Thanks, guys. I pulled the card out to check it, and I was wrong, it's a cheapie PNY that (despite being labeled as class 10) promises just 20MB/s write speeds, and I have a feeling this was the issue.

I just put in a 60MB/sec Lexar, and although I haven't checked it yet, I have a feeling this is the issue.

No waste of time. You asked a question, and the discussion seems to have led to an answer. That's what forums like this are primarily for.

You should perhaps be aware that beyond Class 10, the D3200 supports the UHS-1 protocol, which allows for even higher speeds than Class 10. You might want to make sure that the card you're using is a UHS-1 card, though, if it claims 60 MB/s, then it almost certainly is.

sensh

Thanks again. I am a serious neophyte when it comes to storage, and I have always tended to buy the cheapest cards I could find. For stills, it's never really been a problem, but now I think I'm realizing the limitations of crap cards when it comes to video.

I'll shoot again tomorrow and let you know if it works. The cards that's in the camera now is both class 10 and UHS-1, so hopefully the problem will be gone.

I dig this forum. Such a positive, good vibe here.

Brandonberg

Cheers,
Paul

All good. This is why we have forums!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 (GT-N5110) using Tapatalk

marce

Think of SD cards as little solid state hard drives, they use FAT (file allocation tables) so formatting helps keep things tidy. I do it after every download of pictures, not only do I have a clean card but if anything goes wrong it will become apparent when formatting and not when your are about to shoot.