Cold weather tips

PapaST

The First Snow thread got me thinking about cold weather and snow in general. I'm going to plan a mult-day hike with my camera gear and I hope to get out in the snow. Being from Florida I don't have any experience with snow.

Any tips or tricks of the trade dealing with cold weather and snow? Keeping lenses fog free, cameras operable, etc? Is it a non-issue?

Thanks!

Kevin H

Keep your camera in the bag (kinda acts as a cooler) leave it outside a couple hours before you go on your trips same when you get back to the hotel or cottage btw mine is a back pak

fotojack

Bring extra batteries with you. Batteries deplete faster in cold weather. Keep them warm in your inside pocket. Follow Rodbenders advice, although I think an hour before and after should suffice.

Rick M

As mentioned, I keep the camera in the bag for at least an hour when returning so the temp stabilizes. Might want a Circular Polarizing filter to reduce reflections off snow/ice/water.

STM

Take lots of scotch with you. It won't keep your camera warm, but it will make you feel warmer all day! It always works for me, Dewars is a good brand for sure!