lens suggestions

JamesDean

Hello everyone, I've been saving some money for a new lens i can use for macro of bugs and such, also want to use it for a medium tele lens for outdoor portraits and wildlife. I have a few lenses in mind, just need help deciding.

Nikon Sigma Tokina

Theres my three options, the nikon and sigma obviously being the top dogs but if i go the tokina route i will be able to afford a couple primes(35mm 1.8 & the 50 or 85)

P.s. Im open to alternative options as well:cool:

Phillydog1958

Welcome to the forum. I can't vouch for the other two, but I own the Nikon and recommend it, if it fits your budget. I'm sure you will get others on this forum who would suggest the Sigma or Tokina. Good luck with that.

Rick M

The Nikon is great, the sigma gets good reviews too. With a Dx sensor, 150mm might be too much? I'll let the bug guys answer that.

JamesDean

thanks for the reply! the nikon has tons of credibility, but was considering the sigma for the extra reach. But on the other hand the sigma extends when focusing and the nikon stays the same size! The Tokina looks decent too, especially for $460 but wont autofocus on my d5200(getting a second camera soon, probably the d7100)

wev

Contributor
Yes; smooth action, but a tad noisy if your dealing with skiddish bugs. I usually do all my macro in manual.

Bill16

I would recommend the Nikon 105mm macro. I have an older version and so I don't get the 1:1 ratio. But a new version should be an awesome lens for macro for you! Some day I'll get the new version myself, though I still love my old version listed in my signature! :)
I use my 105mm the most out of all my lenses. :)
I hope you'll have a blast with whichever lens you decide to get! :D

Rick M

The Nikon is fantastic. I use it a lot for landscapes also, I'm always amazed how sharp it is across great distances. This was shot across a lake,

DSC_4503_7237_tonemapped.JPG

Ironwood

I went through a similar dilemma to you recently, when I was deciding which macro lens to buy. I changed my mind about 4 times, until I had decided on the Sigma 105, at the last minute I found a near new, and barely used Nikon 105 for $400. I am very happy with that lens.

I have seen fantastic photos taken with all the current line-up of macro lenses, so I think you could hardly go wrong with any of them.
Whichever one you get, and you learn how to get the best out of it, will give you great photos.

One feature that had me sold on the Sigma, and fortunately the Nikon is the same, is the lens doesnt extend when you focus in close.
I have a Nikon AF55D which extends right out when you get to 1:1, I found it a bit annoying when you were chasing bugs. But beside that it is a great lens , very sharp.

JamesDean

I went through a similar dilemma to you recently, when I was deciding which macro lens to buy. I changed my mind about 4 times, until I had decided on the Sigma 105, at the last minute I found a near new, and barely used Nikon 105 for $400. I am very happy with that lens.

I have seen fantastic photos taken with all the current line-up of macro lenses, so I think you could hardly go wrong with any of them.
Whichever one you get, and you learn how to get the best out of it, will give you great photos.

One feature that had me sold on the Sigma, and fortunately the Nikon is the same, is the lens doesnt extend when you focus in close.
I have a Nikon AF55D which extends right out when you get to 1:1, I found it a bit annoying when you were chasing bugs. But beside that it is a great lens , very sharp.
thanks for the reply, yea it sure is a plus not having the barrel extend! the sigma's do look nice