Wedding Photographers

N~Grace

Hey how many wedding photographers are out there? What bodies and lenses do you all use? How did you get started in wedding photography? Any advice for a beginner/aspiring wedding photographer?

Thanks guys,

Nina
:cool:

p.s. you can see and critique my work here: www.ngracephotography.com

Last edited:

johnwartjr

You might fix the spelling in the title on your site, it shows up as 'N Grace Photohraphy' instead of Photography.

Other than that though, I'm more interested in hearing what some of the pros respond with here, as I have been approached by a few friends interested in wedding photography, and I've thought it might be a good way to add to my portfolio.

Carolina Photo Guy

Considering the longevity of marriages these days, I am thinking of getting into Divorce photography!

As long as you make the other person look BAD, each person will be happy!

Just a thought.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Pete

fotojack

For the camera, I use a Nikon D200. For the lenses, I use (believe it or not) an 18-55mmVR, a 28-105mm, a 50mm 1.8, and for the long shots, a 55-300mm VR. I also have an SB-700 flash for indoor shots. But every wedding is different, requiring different lenses for different situations. There is no set rule for what lenses to use. The photographer uses what's needed to get the shot.

Browncoat

If you're coming onto internet forums looking for advice, then you're not ready in my opinion.

There are a few branches of photography where amateurs can earn a living: portraits being the most wide-spread, followed by weddings. Budding photogs are easily lured by the potential big money that weddings can bring in. I'm willing to bet that just about everyone on these forums has been approached by at least one friend who has asked about wedding photos.

It's easy to believe that you can shoot a wedding and everything will be peachy. However, have you considered:

• Equipment insurance. What if something happens to you or your gear?
  • Do you have backup gear? Backups to the backup?
  • Do you have a versatile arsenal of lenses in your bag to cover all situations?
  • Indoor lighting? What would you do if it rains?
  • What kind of editing software do you have?
  • Can you prepare images for print, or know how to put an album together?
Weddings are pure chaos, and the pressure is high because there are no re-dos. There's no, "Hey, can you do the kiss again? I missed the shot." This is one of the most important days of people's lives, and they're counting on you to get it right.

And perhaps most important of all: It takes years to build a successful reputation as a photographer, especially a wedding photographer. It only takes one bad day to ruin it all forever. As in, you'll never work in this town again.

Helene and Bill regularly shoot weddings, and will likely chime in here as well. But I think either will likely say that your best bet is to get some experience as a second shooter at several weddings first before taking the plunge yourself. Refer the first 5 or so to a photographer friend w/ experience and split the money. You'll work better as a team and you'll learn something in the process.

Last edited:

fotojack

There ya go, Nina. Anthony just gave you the best advice you'll ever get on the subject of being a wedding photographer. I hope it's advice you'll heed. :)

jengajoh

I would like to reiterate the fact of having backups. Camera back up and extra camera and flash batteries are extremely important. Weddings are stressful, make sure you are well prepared and well rested. Something to do if you want to start shooting weddings is to shadow a professional a few times so its not all on you the first time and you can learn from the person you are with.

Nathanael

Hi friends i just want to say you that now these days every body become a photgrapher they just purchase a camera and called their self a photgrapher but they are fake and have no any experience about wedding photographing anyways it just a little matter have a nice day....

Stangman98

Until I get my upgrade I shoot with my D300 and my D80. I take my 70-200, 50 1.8, 35 1.8, 2 SB700's and anything else I may need with me.

First forget making a living out of wedding photogrphy there are very few who will pay you $5000 to shoot a wedding ..$500-800 yes but thats not a living.
Use a 18-200 zoom ..if it wont go in your pocket forget it ..tripod forget it ..cameara with two cards essential and dual battery grip .. I carry two cameras one 18-200 the other with a 10-20 mm the wife has a third camera ...One person cannot shoot a wedding ..not possible with modern requirements. I put my first add on internet in Nov 2011 and booked 40 weddings for 2012 and have 25 booked for 2013 you best get qualified with MPA etc and get insured and wear a body mike to record everything said to you on the day.

PS I did have 20 years experience in the Hassleblad era pre 2000 maybe that helps

Last edited:

Pierro

...if it wont go in your pocket forget it ..tripod forget it ......One person cannot shoot a wedding ..not possible with modern requirements

Utter nonsense

Nice to get some discussion...
If you need to carry something it just gets in the way and is a target for theft/gets forgotten ....
as for one photographer impossible to do the job..
how can you be at the brides house and at the church at the same time ???
One photographer at the front of the church and one at the back ...standard practice these days.....
One photographer doing groups ...well we only do about 8..whilst the other is doing casual /portraits of bridesmaids /parents/ etc
That way with a normal church wedding and about 100 guests you end up with 1000=1200 shots to edit down to about 800

How can one photographer do that ?
I carry two cameras....in pocket... filters/spare chip/batteries/business cards/ shoot list... thats it
Wife has 1 camera . Spare lens etc all chained into the car.
works for me 40 weeddings this year and 25 booked already for next ..how many UK photographers can match that ...??

Next you will be telling me you hissss about changing lenses in the rain ......!!!!

Last edited:
there are 4 types of wedding photographer..
1/ Wears a dinner jacket ...been paid about 3-5000 $ poses about a lot to make out he is earning his money ..has an assistant with a reflector and takes about 2 hours to do his job.
2/ The hard bitten pro who charges about $1000 wears a suit does the job in 3/4 hr .Has full control of the situation and uses on camera flash and has his wife to help him.
3/ The anorak wearing old fart who moves slowly ..lets people pose themselves and just clicks whats in front of him
4/ The young art student ..comes in jeans and a tee shirt ,,cannot stand still .gets up the ministers nose and lets it be all natural....

Which one are you and which one am I .....ha ha read the profile !!!

Pistnbroke is a name I have used for many years on vehicle related web sites...just a joke name really ..... I dont put my website on here because a google search brings up all these posts and I dont want customers searching though this type of posting .. A good wedding photographer has money in the bank and lots of happy customers ..like I said 40 this year and 30 booked for next and it isnt even peak booking time yet ( thats end jan/early feb)
If you are qualified with the MPA BIPP RPS somebody has told you you are good (enough)