Oil Painting Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacksquare

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum. The shot below was post processed to create an oil painting look. This is a technique I have been refining for some time now.

10493913426_6e35384898_b.jpg

Thank you,

DavidB

Indeed a very warm welcome. I'm new here myself!

I like the effect very much! Care to share how you did it? Also, I'd be interested in seeing the original photograph.

Thanks in advance,

David

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

blacksquare

Indeed a very warm welcome. I'm new here myself!

I like the effect very much! Care to share how you did it? Also, I'd be interested in seeing the original photograph.

Thanks in advance,

David

Thank you Dave. I really enjoy the work of the classical renaissance painters and for number of years have been developing my digital workflow to simulate this effect. I won't bore you with all the details but it is basically selective colour toning combined with localised contrast enhancements. I tend not to post my original images as I feel that it detracts from the final effect.

kind regards,

BackdoorArts

So you're just sort of popping in for the first time to show us something that you've come up with, but won't "bore us with the details" of how to do it? I'd make snide a comment, but it might detract from the final effect.

DavidB

So you're just sort of popping in for the first time to show us something that you've come up with, but won't "bore us with the details" of how to do it? I'd make snide a comment, but it might detract from the final effect.

Hmm. I tend to agree!

David

I think what they are saying is that one of the things we pride ourselves with here is the fact that we share techniques here and try to help everyone here with the knowledge we have.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

FastGlass

Am I missing something? The photo to me just looks overly warm and a tad underexposed. I thought this effect would take away some detail and yet I see alot of it.

BackdoorArts

I'm guessing that the guy's goal is not so much to replicate the look of the oil painting as it is to recreate the feel of the lighting in the work of Renaissance paintings, and likely Rembrandt in particular, as shown in this self portrait...

self-portrait-1665-1.jpg

Strong, yellow light from a single source.

blacksquare

From the tenor of your post I would suggest that you have already made a 'snide' comment - not a very welcoming approach to somebody new to this forum.

The post processing applied to this image consisted of a significant number of very small adjustments, applied using a Wacom tablet. To repeat the exact workflow would be time consuming to undertake, and would in all likelihood bore most people. That is why I simply explained the underlying principles.

I'm not really sure what else I could do to explain my workflow aside from uploading my PSD file for people to review.

@DavidB - see above.

@Hark, I am also working on a calibrated monitor and the shadowing to the right of the subject is intentional as the subject was lit to create chiaroscuro effect, which was enhanced in Photoshop. You are also correct about the absence of the cracked paint look! ;-p

@Fastglass, no you're not missing anything, the image has been deliberately underexposed and colour toned to create a warm effect (I also don't understand what the fuss is all about)!

Kind regards,

BackdoorArts

From the tenor of your post I would suggest that you have already made a 'snide' comment - not a very welcoming approach to somebody new to this forum.

If my read on your initial posts was wrong then mea culpa - but it was a bit of a fly-by considering you posted in the Learning Photography - Portrait forum and decided not to share the how to when asked (had it been posted in the Photo Critique section I would have let it slide). Granted, it's your first visit, and perhaps I should have cut you a bit of slack, but I got a big helping of attitude from your first 2 posts, intended or otherwise, and responded in kind - as welcoming as your posts were inviting.

So, perhaps we got off on the wrong foot. My apologies for any offense.

That said, there are a bunch of folks here who are eager to learn, so if you've got a technique you want to share, please be willing to share.

WeeHector

The post processing applied to this image consisted of a significant number of very small adjustments, applied using a Wacom tablet. To repeat the exact workflow would be time consuming to undertake, and would in all likelihood bore most people. That is why I simply explained the underlying principles.

I'm not really sure what else I could do to explain my workflow aside from uploading my PSD file for people to review.

@DavidB - see above.

@Hark, I am also working on a calibrated monitor and the shadowing to the right of the subject is intentional as the subject was lit to create chiaroscuro effect, which was enhanced in Photoshop. You are also correct about the absence of the cracked paint look! ;-p

@Fastglass, no you're not missing anything, the image has been deliberately underexposed and colour toned to create a warm effect (I also don't understand what the fuss is all about)!

Kind regards,

Sorry for all the negative vibes on this thread but you're not doing much to eliminate them.

"The post processing applied to this image consisted of a significant number of very small adjustments, applied using a Wacom tablet."

Now I have experience of Wacom tablets and they aren't magical devices which allow 'very small adjustments" to a photo as they are a simple replacement for a mouse. By your reference to a PSD file I would assume that you have made the alterations in Photoshop using a Wacom tablet. As this is a forum visited by newcomers as well as hobbyists and professionals it is good to get the myths out of the way.

Having got that detail out of the way, you have processed the photo using Filters and adjustments from the Image menu. Good on you, sir, and no doubt you recorded them as an action or did you simply use one of the many oil painting filters available on the internet?

Horoscope Fish

Engaging Rant Mode.... Now.

I'm really unclear why this thread seems to be on the proverbial tracks only by the slimmest of margins...

@WeeHector If you don't mind my pointing it out, the poster never said anything to indicate the tablet used was... well... anything, really; other than the tool used to accomplish the end achieved. Where are you seeing this attribution of the miraculous? And what "myths" are we talking about?? As a tablet user myself are you saying you DON'T find a tablet/stylus a more refined tool than a mouse? Because if that's your experience we'll simply have to agree to disagree as I find a stylus *significantly* more precise than any mouse I've ever used and every professional graphic artist in my department (and there's a few) all say the same thing; it's why I have a Wacom tablet now.

Maybe it's my Midwestern sensibilities talking but sometimes the abject supposition and sneering posts I see in these forums, quite frankly, leave me embarrassed. I am *NOT* merely pointing my finger at WeeHector when I say that and this thread is not the only one I've seen to take this sort of sour turn for reasons I can not begin to fathom. I guess mine was the only mother that instructed if I don't have anything nice, or at the very least constructive to add to the conversation, perhaps I should rethink joining the conversation to begin with.

/rant mode

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
F@Hark, I am also working on a calibrated monitor and the shadowing to the right of the subject is intentional as the subject was lit to create chiaroscuro effect, which was enhanced in Photoshop. You are also correct about the absence of the cracked paint look! ;-p

Kind regards,

Okay, thank you for the explanation; however, the effect is a little too strong for MY preference (please note I'm not saying it isn't done correctly). I'd just like to see a little more detail in the photo. If the face were turned towards the light just a tad which would slightly reveal a little more detail, that would be fine for me. And ;-p back at you! ;)

WeeHector

Engaging Rant Mode.... Now.

I'm really unclear why this thread seems to be on the proverbial tracks only by the slimmest of margins...

@WeeHector If you don't mind my pointing it out, the poster never said anything to indicate the tablet used was... well... anything, really; other than the tool used to accomplish the end achieved. Where are you seeing this attribution of the miraculous? And what "myths" are we talking about?? As a tablet user myself are you saying you DON'T find a tablet/stylus a more refined tool than a mouse? Because if that's your experience we'll simply have to agree to disagree as I find a stylus *significantly* more precise than any mouse I've ever used and every professional graphic artist in my department (and there's a few) all say the same thing; it's why I have a Wacom tablet now.

Maybe it's my Midwestern sensibilities talking but sometimes the abject supposition and sneering posts I see in these forums, quite frankly, leave me embarrassed. I am *NOT* merely pointing my finger at WeeHector when I say that and this thread is not the only one I've seen to take this sort of sour turn for reasons I can not begin to fathom. I guess mine was the only mother that instructed if I don't have anything nice, or at the very least constructive to add to the conversation, perhaps I should rethink joining the conversation to begin with.

/rant mode

He certainly didn't do much to specify that the photo was simply transformed in Photoshop, end of story. However I will agree that this is not the sort of disagreement that we should be having on Nikonites. We are not here to prove how great our egos are. We are a community aimed towards the benefit of all our members. (No sarcasm intended). However it would be nice if newcomers didn't try to shroud their work in seeming mystery.

PS I am also a tablet user and don't need to be reminded how it is used. I would not, however, ever consider putting my transformation of a photo down to the tablet rather than the software I was using. Anyone who calls himself a semi-pro and has to try to prove himself in this way goes a long way down in my opinion. As for rant mode, let's just hope I never reach that stage.

Last edited:

wud

Okay, Im not so good at Tapatalk yet. On a computer now, trying again:

Backdoor Hippie, did you paint that? Thats it amazing!

Blacksquare: I just saw your image on a tablet, and the effect weren't so visible. I see it a little better on computer. I like the darkness on the right, and I like the soft look this picture got. But not sure I would recognize it as a painting, if I wasn't told - but guess thats not your intention anyways :)

For the mystery ;) when I hear wacom, I get the idea that he use this for painting on top of the image, maybe blending the layers soft (or whatever is suited).

Horoscope Fish

He certainly didn't do much to specify that the photo was simply transformed in Photoshop, end of story. However I will agree that this is not the sort of disagreement that we should be having on Nikonites. We are not here to prove how great our egos are. We are a community aimed towards the benefit of all our members. (No sarcasm intended). However it would be nice if newcomers didn't try to shroud their work in seeming mystery.
Did you miss the part where he mentioned he tweaked it in 'post? Where suggested he could upload the .PSD file? If you'd LIKE a step-by-step walk through of what he did, perhaps you should ask for one. All this shrouding and mystery you speak of seems quite manufactured.

PS I am also a tablet user and don't need to be reminded how it is used.
I don't see where I've said anything about how to use a tablet & stylus; only that using one is, in my opinion, infinitely superior to using a mouse.

I would not, however, ever consider putting my transformation of a photo down to the tablet rather than the software I was using. Anyone who calls himself a semi-pro and has to try to prove himself in this way goes a long way down in my opinion. As for rant mode, let's just hope I never reach that stage.
And who here has? OP said he applied numerous tweaks using a tablet. How would have worded it? As for him trying to "prove" himself, again; I see no evidence of that. He posted a shot that was tweaked and from that, it seems, an awful of conclusions are being drawn that I don't see being supported by anything by collective imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.