Photographing Open Books - Any tips for keeping them open?

BackdoorArts

I need to shoot a composite scene with 3 copies of the same book, one with a cover shot, and two open to specific pages within the book. My problem is that they books are essentially new samples and will not stay open on their own, and I've been asked to try and do it without creasing them open (i.e. keep them "as new"). It's my choice on how they are displayed, standing or laying down, and while standing may be easier laying down is how I've shot most of the other pieces that are a part of the project I'm doing.

So, I have a couple ideas, the predominant being to shoot them separately and then combine them in photoshop. The closed book is easy. The open books still present a challenge in how to keep them open. Tape risks a level of damage to them I'm thinking that if I can find two anchor points on each side where I can place a decent amount of weight, if I can shoot 2 shots of each book with the weights in different spots then I can merge the photos and eliminate the weights. Same would hold true for someone holding the book open.

Any other ideas? These are soft cover books with a rigid center spine about 3/4" wide.

BackdoorArts

Lay a piece of heavy, non-glare glass on top of the open book to hold it open and flatten the pages.

Great idea - I just don't have anything like that, nor do I necessarily want to invest in it depending on the price. I'd need a rather large sheet to do them at once. If I were, where would one go about getting "non-glare glass"? I'm assuming a frame shop or craft place would have something, right?

nickt

I don't know much about photoshop, so I have no idea if this is easier than merging the weighted books, but how about tied down with fishing line? One piece horizontally right across both pages. Placed between lines of text or top/bottom margin, it might be easy to clone away.

BackdoorArts

I don't know much about photoshop, so I have no idea if this is easier than merging the weighted books, but how about tied down with fishing line? One piece horizontally right across both pages. Placed between lines of text or top/bottom margin, it might be easy to clone away.

That's at least easier to try!! Now if I only was a fisherman... (cue up the Waterboys)

:)

Horoscope Fish

Plexiglass would be a cheap alternative to actual, non-reflective, glass. The reflection issue would be tricky, probably, but not insurmountable.

BackdoorArts

My sincere thanks for the fishing line suggestion.
KeenanDesignProof1024-36.jpg

WhiteLight

Just another idea since you are at it...
Not sure if you've seen a pic by @480sparky here... Of sheets of paper..
Different concept than what you need to do, but if it's for some clients they may be impressed..

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk