D7100 Exposure Compensation Problem

SWHD7100

Hello fellow Nikonites
I have just upgraded from the D90 to D7100. Very pleased with everything but appear to have an issue with the exposure compensation button and dial. I set everything up to my liking but discovered the exposure compensation wasn't working as per the D90 (press the +/- button and adjust using rear thumbwheel). Pressed all the resets in case I had introduced a conflict. Tried again using standard presets. Same result.
I'm not sure if I am missing a crucial difference or have a rare(?) fault. I can't find any mention of it elsewhere.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks and regards
Stephen

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Stephen, anyway it could be written somewhere in the user manual? What mode were you in? Maybe it won't work in auto of some other mode… Or maybe it was menu disabled.

SWHD7100

Sorry more info - the -5 to +5 is showing up in the upper display and in the summary info beneath the image but making no difference to the actual image. Never had an issue with the D90. Thanks. Stephen

SWHD7100

Hi Marcel - wow that was quick!
I have tried shutter and appature priority. Can't see anything in the manual or on the internet.
Stephen

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Check to make sure that the rear thumbwheel hasn't been re-assigned to something else… Can't think of anything else at the moment.

SWHD7100

Thanks Marcel - no it is making the expected change in the display in 0.3 steps. Front thumbwheel is having no effect.
"that is I think I disagree!":rolleyes:

Horoscope Fish

I have my 7100 here in front of me and it's a simple matter of pressing and holding the +/- button and using the rear-wheel... Not sure what else could be affecting this. Maybe do a settings reset, just to be sure? I find it odd you can see the exposure adjustment in the top LCD while not getting any effect on your shots... I'm thinking that's not boding well.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks Marcel - no it is making the expected change in the display in 0.3 steps. Front thumbwheel is having no effect.
"that is I think I disagree!":rolleyes:

So you see the numbers changing but the resulting pics don't? If that is the case, then something is not right… Which metering mode are you using? Matrix? Is the camera on a tripod with the same scene? And the histogram don't change a bit???

WayneF

Sorry more info - the -5 to +5 is showing up in the upper display and in the summary info beneath the image but making no difference to the actual image. Never had an issue with the D90. Thanks. Stephen

If it says -5 to +5 EV, you would think it would affect the image in Aperture mode.

No difference in the ambient image? Or no difference in a flash image?

Normally Exposure Compensation affects BOTH ambient and flash exposure (where Flash Compensation only affects flash).

However, on D7100, menu E4 can isolate them, so that Exposure Compensation does not affect Flash.
D90 did no have that option.

SWHD7100

Thanks Marcel
Yes, I am in Matrix metering mode. Not tripod but images taken of different objects such as corner of television etc.

Last night I reset everything once again but this time removed everything from 'My Menu' section as well (I do love that tab!) - hey presto - everything worked. This morning I have re-entered everything (well apparently not everything!) without the problem returning.

SWHD7100

Thanks for your sound comments Wayne. Not sure what I had managed to do during the initial set up but everything is now working exactly as it should!

SWHD7100

Dear Horoscope Fish, Thank you for your simple confirmation of how to do it. Although it seemed very unlikely, I was beginning to wonder if the D7100 was different to every other camera I had ever used! As per my previous post clearing everything (including the 'My Menu' tab and re-entering has done the trick.
Thanks and regards
Stephen

Horoscope Fish

Dear Horoscope Fish, Thank you for your simple confirmation of how to do it. Although it seemed very unlikely, I was beginning to wonder if the D7100 was different to every other camera I had ever used! As per my previous post clearing everything (including the 'My Menu' tab and re-entering has done the trick.
Thanks and regards
Stephen
Excellent! I'm glad to hear you got this worked out.

Cecilia

Nikon D7100
Exposure Compensation works only when you turn to A mode or S mode instead of M (manual). It won't work on M mode.