The AW1 Mirrorless - Experiences?

Rhizopas

Nikon rolled out the world's first water/shock/freeze-proof interchangeable lens camera back in September.

The news/ mild review: Nikon AW1

Although taking underwater photos in the Arctic does sound tantalizing, I'm wondering if it'll catch on to enthusiasts like similar Canon models did...

Phillydog1958

I just took a "Closer" look at the Nikon 1 AW1. It's a cool camera with a lot of potential for overall market appeal, especially with Nikon's across-the-board marketing style, with this particular camera. The AW1's success strengthens the Nikon 1 line. I think they have a winner.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I just took a "Closer" look at the Nikon 1 AW1. It's a cool camera with a lot of potential for overall market appeal, especially with Nikon's across-the-board marketing style, with this particular camera. The AW1's success strengthens the Nikon 1 line. I think they have a winner.

Did it follow you home too? :couple_inlove:

Phillydog1958

No. I'm content with my D600 and Nikon 1 V2 :) It's just that the AW1 is impressive due to it's potential to tap into the "Active" community. It's a very large group and crosses over so many lines. My only concern is that the water-proofing can hold up.

Deezey

I have a few buddies looking to buy this camera. They are avid fly fisherman and are looking to go past the point and shoot crowd. We have one friend who owns it, but they are a state away and NOT a winter fisherman. Hopefully one of them pick it up soon so I can play around with it.

The only problem I see this camera running into are the new action cams that take decent photos.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Rick M

For that much money I want a viewfinder, but the all weather certainly has it's merits. I don't think they have the same lens selection yet and that would make me nervous the way this whole line could be up in the air.

Deezey

For that much money I want a viewfinder, but the all weather certainly has it's merits. I don't think they have the same lens selection yet and that would make me nervous the way this whole line could be up in the air.

I believe the other Nikon 1 lenses work on the AW1. But the AW1 lenses will not work with the other mirrorless systems from Nikon. And the viewfinder would be nice....but for underwater shots I don't know how well it would function. It would more than likely add a bit to the price. And I am insure how you could waterproof it.

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Rick M

Unfortunately the other lenses (the ones I have) are not weather sealed, so adding that body only helps if I'm willing to duplicate lenses. I think it is very nice for what it delivers.

I'm surprised they did not get there hands on or duplicate the Sony 20mp sensor. It is said to be a stellar performer. I just hope Nikon takes this system to the next level with a v3 and a sensor like the Sony.

Phillydog1958

I can appreciate what Nikon was attempting to do with their CX sensor, but they probably need to consider using a APS-C sensor. I can see the V3 with such a feature.

Last edited: