High aperture and High ISO

pisean123

Yesterday in dark night tried with high aperture (Low f value) and high ISO,low Sutter speed..the shoot was nice but was not fully satisfied.
What add on to be done to refine the shoot further...This was doen with Sony H7.
What issues previously i was facing got refined a lot by understanding the basics of triangle--ISO,APERTURE,SHUTTER SPEED.

fotojack

Yesterday in dark night tried with high aperture (Low f value) and high ISO,low Shutter speed..the shoot was nice but was not fully satisfied.
What add on to be done to refine the shoot further...This was doen with Sony H7.
What issues previously i was facing got refined a lot by understanding the basics of triangle--ISO,APERTURE,SHUTTER SPEED.

You're asking a question about a Sony camera on a Nikon site???

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yesterday in dark night tried with high aperture (Low f value) and high ISO,low Sutter speed..the shoot was nice but was not fully satisfied.

When shooting at a stationary subject at night, shoot in M mode.

Use lower ISO such as ISO 100 to 400.

Use a tripod and adjust the shutter depending on the limited light available. If you are using f8 to f16, try 15 seconds and then adjust from there.

Do not use Auto ISO if that camera has one when shooting night photography but you can if you must.

singlerosa_RIP

Maybe you need to adjust white balance. I did a shoot earlier this week where I decided to ditch my flash and pop my 50 1.4 on the D600. I was shooting at ISO 5000 in available light (at a restaurant) and had to adjust WB on all photos to tone down the lighting. If you have ISO, SS and aperture right, everything else can be fixed in PP, assuming you're shooting RAW.

nickt

Post some samples (from your Nikon!) and I'm sure you will get some better tips. We don't know what you were unhappy about. Blurry? Grainy? Over or under exposed? Like Glenn Said, this is probably a situation for manual. Using your meter may brighten the scene too much. I'm assuming you are using a tripod. In that case, you don't need a high iso. Higher iso will give a more grainy picture. And like singlerosa said, maybe a white balance problem. With no samples, we are just guessing at what you are shooting and also guessing at solutions.

Fred Kingston

​Post the pictures you took. We can't tell what you're talking about.

Mfrankfort

I was thinking about getting a Canon 60D... any thoughts? Just kidding. haha. Pick what you want/need more... either Aperture or Shutter speed, and go from there. Try to keep iso consistent at around 800 or lower. Not sure about the 5200 (or the sony), but 800 is pretty clear on the 600. If Aperture is more important for you for the shot, lock it in, and and just shutter accordingly. If your shooting moving something, and need a certain shutter, select that, and move around the aperture to get the exposure.