Yongnuo YN568EX flash with macro and close ups

Ironwood

I got my new flash today, it was late afternoon by the time I got home to try it, so a bit rushed.
​My early tests look promising, I just used the little fold down diffuser on the front of the flash, it worked OK, but I think I will be able to do better with a proper diffuser.
More tests are coming.

For these shots I set the camera at f20, 1/800th, ISO 400, +1.3EV. I started at 0EV, but was a bit dark, so I bumped it up a bit.

Attachments

• DSC_3349.jpg
    DSC_3349.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 677
  • DSC_3351.jpg
    DSC_3351.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 316
  • DSC_3353.jpg
    DSC_3353.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:

Moab Man

I got my new flash today, it was late afternoon by the time I got home to try it, so a bit rushed.
​My early tests look promising, I just used the little fold down diffuser on the front of the flash, it worked OK, but I think I will be able to do better with a proper diffuser.
More tests are coming.

For these shots I set the camera at f20, 1/800th, ISO 400, +1.3EV. I started at 0EV, but was a bit dark, so I bumped it up a bit.

What lens? And seeing those pictures and the specs seals it for me. That is the flash I want.

Ironwood

Looking good mate. Have you tried with a higher F stop? say f/16 or 18? But yes a diffuser would do wonders.

I only had a few minutes to try it yesterday arvo, so didnt get much done with it.
I normally shoot my macro at f16 or 18, but set it at f20 because I had so much extra light and thought I might get a bit more DOF.
Will experiment a bit more this afternoon, if I can get home early enough.
I was so rushed yesterday, I didnt even think to change the ISO back a bit from 400, where it was set from shooting in a greenhouse last time I used it.

Ironwood

I ordered a $12 diffuser will be interesting to see how it compares to my foam one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think your foam one is going to be the better one somehow.

I have also ordered a softbox for my new flash, hopefully I will get it today or tomorrow.

​I have to test how my piece of foam goes with the new flash, as the flash sits a lot higher than the onboard flash. More tests to do.

Ironwood

What lens? And seeing those pictures and the specs seals it for me. That is the flash I want.

Nikon 105 f2.8 .
I was going to add more info in my 1st post, but my internet speed was way down and it took me about 30 minutes just to get that first post to load, then the pics loaded all funny, and I couldnt change them in edit, so I gave up and went to bed, there was only 5 hours till I had to get back up for work.

I am very impressed with that flash so far. Didnt take much to get it to work straight out of the box. It seems pretty smart, it knows what lens I have on, and what f-stop its set at.
​I like the fast shutter speeds I can use with it.

Scott Murray

I only had a few minutes to try it yesterday arvo, so didnt get much done with it.
I normally shoot my macro at f16 or 18, but set it at f20 because I had so much extra light and thought I might get a bit more DOF.
Will experiment a bit more this afternoon, if I can get home early enough.
I was so rushed yesterday, I didnt even think to change the ISO back a bit from 400, where it was set from shooting in a greenhouse last time I used it.
I always start with ISO 100 and work from there ;)

Scott Murray

Nikon 105 f2.8 .
I was going to add more info in my 1st post, but my internet speed was way down and it took me about 30 minutes just to get that first post to load, then the pics loaded all funny, and I couldnt change them in edit, so I gave up and went to bed, there was only 5 hours till I had to get back up for work.

I am very impressed with that flash so far. Didnt take much to get it to work straight out of the box. It seems pretty smart, it knows what lens I have on, and what f-stop its set at.
​I like the fast shutter speeds I can use with it.
Lets see how it goes ;)

Ironwood

I tried the foam diffuser today, it didnt give me a lot of luck. I think the flash is sitting a bit high and it doesn't light up the foam as well as I would hope for.

This is one of the better shots I got using the foam diffuser.

Nikon 105 f2.8 @ f16, 1/640th, +3EV, ISO 100.

DSC_3393.jpg

I cant remember if this was the foam diffuser or the fold down diffuser.
This little spider jumped onto my arm.

f16, 1/1000th, +3EV, ISO 100.
DSC_3412.jpg

This one is with the fold down diffuser.

f16, 1/1000th, +3EV, ISO100.
DSC_3422.jpg

I think I will try and make a custom job that has something to deflect the flash light down onto the foam on the end of the lens.
My soft box didnt turn up today, hopefully tomorrow.

RockyNH_RIP

I tried the foam diffuser today, it didnt give me a lot of luck. I think the flash is sitting a bit high and it doesn't light up the foam as well as I would hope for.

This is one of the better shots I got using the foam diffuser.

Nikon 105 f2.8 @ f16, 1/640th, +3EV, ISO 100.

I cant remember if this was the foam diffuser or the fold down diffuser.
This little spider jumped onto my arm.

f16, 1/1000th, +3EV, ISO 100.

This one is with the fold down diffuser.

f16, 1/1000th, +3EV, ISO100.

I think I will try and make a custom job that has something to deflect the flash light down onto the foam on the end of the lens.
My soft box didnt turn up today, hopefully tomorrow.

Brad.... they all look good here, that first (with the foam) is especially good!!

Pat in NH