Standard zoom question

jaomul

Hi all,
I hope this is the correct section as I suppose the lens I ask about is wide (at least at one end:D).

I have ordered a d7100. I pretty much know my main lenses that I want. My hardest decision will be the standard zoom, yet will probably be the next lens I buy. I have already purchased a 35mm f1.8, will buy a 50mm (likely f1.8d) and eventually a 70 or 80-200 f2.8 and teleconverter (way in the future).

I realise you get what you pay for but in general I will likely be using prime lenses. Has anyone used the sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS. This lens really strikes me as a good balance between price and performance (on paper at least).

Any suggestions on other standard lenses will be appreciated. I mostly take pictures of people and animals but do a little of everything. We all want the best for price etc, and I did have a tamron 17-50 f2.8 on a canon before so this is in mind also. Thanks for any input

Horoscope Fish

I'm fond of fast primes myself, have the Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 (which I love) and still find myself looking hard at the new-ish Nikon 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 VR DX blah,blah,blah. Even so, the Sigma 17-70mm *is* a pretty nice lens.

The 35mm f/1.8G is a GEM of a prime. You may want consider skipping the 50mm and going to the 85mm f/1.8, though... I mean, to my way of thinking, 15mm of focal length isn't enough to convince me to swap lenses; that's what I have legs for. But that's me...

jaomul

I will look into the 18-105mm as well. I assumed that because of the 6x mag and the fact that it is reasonably priced that the quality may not be to great, but I'd be glad to be wrong on that as it would make a great all rounder due the focal length.

My reasoning behind the 35 and 50 isn't so much not zooming with my feet but I really like the 50 for portraits and headshots in and outdoors, yet it is to tight for general use especially indoors. The 35 I find better for indoor and group shots but isn't to flattering for individual close up portraits so I would kind of consider them as different purpose lenses. The 85mm is also a nice idea but is down my list. I would likely get a macro in the 90-100mm range and use this for the occasional portrait that i take in that range and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Thanks for the info

Rick M

I'd take a look at the new sigma 18-35, at 1.8 it's a fast zoom and has great reviews. It is short for a standard zoom, but since you'll have the 50 and another zoom later, you'll have the higher range covered.

I will look into the 18-105mm as well. I assumed that because of the 6x mag and the fact that it is reasonably priced that the quality may not be to great, but I'd be glad to be wrong on that as it would make a great all rounder due the focal length.

My reasoning behind the 35 and 50 isn't so much not zooming with my feet but I really like the 50 for portraits and headshots in and outdoors, yet it is to tight for general use especially indoors. The 35 I find better for indoor and group shots but isn't to flattering for individual close up portraits so I would kind of consider them as different purpose lenses. The 85mm is also a nice idea but is down my list. I would likely get a macro in the 90-100mm range and use this for the occasional portrait that i take in that range and kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

Thanks for the info

The quality of the 18-105 is great. Mine lives on my D7000 most of the time.

Deezey

While of course a kit lens wont compete with a prime or the expensive 2.8 zoom lenses. Cheap does not mean they are not good. The 18-105 is excellent for its price. Almost all of the standard kit lenses can and will produce stunning images. If you do your part.

gork

Jaomul. I love my 50mm 1.8G, but having said that the lens that lives on my D90 most of the time is a Nikon 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G VR. Great lens.

SteveH

So far, I have the 18-55mm, the 55-300mm and the 35 f1.8G prime - The prime is by far the sharpest lens and gives great vibrant shots.
As has already been said, I wouldn't get both the 35mm and 50mm as they aren't massively different, but as a general walk around zoom, I'd get the 18-105 (In fact I'm thinking of changing my 18-55mm for one!)