Nikon Full Frame Mirrorless

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon Rumors is reporting a breaking rumor that Nikon is going to shortly announce a full frame mirrorless camera. Supposedly the reason Sony announced the A7 and A7r so quickly and without all of the lenses available was to beat Nikon to market. This might be fantastic news if true!!

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
Nikon Rumors has now updated the site to say that it will be a retro type camera (think the FM2) with a pentaprism not mirrorless. Still cool but. . .

Mark F

Now that would be way cool. I'd have to figure a way to get one of those. Might even replace my d600. I loved my FM2. Put on one of those retro neck straps and streets around here won't be the same!

Last edited:

Bill16

If Nikon keeps coming out with new full frame models, I have no clue what model I'll end up getting. I want a real good fx DSLR so bad I can taste it, and with the high costs they go for I can't afford to gamble too much. With the intro of the d610 instead of fixing the d600 it makes me wonder if I should skip both and jump up to the D800 that seems to have proven it's reliability.
Now this new bit of rumor to complicate things even more! Lol I guess I won't be able to plan for any specific model until I have enough money available to buy right there and then, before something else gets changed or added! Lol :(

Mfrankfort

That would be cool. Wonder how Image Quality would stack up against some of the other FF's like the 800, d4... And when are you going to change that silly logo?! We've been over this. Go Wings. ;-)

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
That would be cool. Wonder how Image Quality would stack up against some of the other FF's like the 800, d4... And when are you going to change that silly logo?! We've been over this. Go Wings. ;-)

It really depends on which sensor Nikon decides to use. Sony is using the same one as the D800 so it does make you wonder.

If it makes you feel any better, the Wings are memorialized on the inside of the players 2013 Stanley Cup ring. Every team logo and series the Hawks played is inscribed.

chicago-blackhawks-stanley-cup-rings-1.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
If Nikon keeps coming out with new full frame models, I have no clue what model I'll end up getting. I want a real good fx DSLR so bad I can taste it, and with the high costs they go for I can't afford to gamble too much. With the intro of the d610 instead of fixing the d600 it makes me wonder if I should skip both and jump up to the D800 that seems to have proven it's reliability.
Now this new bit of rumor to complicate things even more! Lol I guess I won't be able to plan for any specific model until I have enough money available to buy right there and then, before something else gets changed or added! Lol :(

Budget FX:

If you know how to do wet sensor cleaning, you might be able to find bargain D600 who are upgrading to D610 or the next rumored FX mirrorless camera. Timing is everything.

Occassional bargain cameras: D3 and/or D700. Still great cameras that doesn't require a super computer to process the 12mp RAW files.

The D800 is very good but it's not for everybody. I would get a D610 instead since 24mp is plenty, me thinks.

Belo

Awesome news, the A7 had my attention for a while but would be happy to stay in the Nikon stable.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Awesome news, the A7 had my attention for a while but would be happy to stay in the Nikon stable.

This is definitely a big plus. I've always wanted the retro film camera look like what Fujifilm created with their X system cameras and OMD but this one with a mirrorless, full frame, D4 sensor (I hope), and F mount, there is nothing more that I could ask for.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
This is definitely a big plus. I've always wanted the retro film camera look like what Fujifilm created with their X system cameras and OMD but this one with a mirrorless, full frame, D4 sensor (I hope), and F mount, there is nothing more that I could ask for.

If Nikon goes like Sony, it should be a D600 24 MP sensor. Will they be able to make it as affordable as the Sony (2000.00 with lens)???? This is for the 24mp model there will also be the alpha 7R with the 36mp sensor (same one in the D800).

AC016

Overall, I find this announcement very intriguing. The most intriguing part of it, is the fact that the term "hybrid" has been used. As this is all speculation at the moment, anybody's guess is as good as anyone else's. In regards to what the term "hybrid" may refer to, here is what I thought of:
-hybrid sensor with CDAF/PDAF
-hybrid viewfinder with EVF. Though, I don't see the point in it if there is a perfectly good pentaprism available.
-hybrid could mean that the patent that we saw a while back for interchangeable sensors, may come to realisation.
-I also thought of hybrid film/digital, but dismissed that quickly.
- last one I thought of, is maybe "hybrid" just means an old style camera body, with modern day guts.
Something else that we may have to consider, is the fact that in the rumor, it has been speculated that Nikon will announce this camera in the next month (1-3 weeks in the updated text). I am thinking that if this was some sort of ground-breaking, R&D intensive project, we would have gotten a heads up a lot sooner through the rumor sites. Then again, maybe Nikon was able to keep a lid on this one.
In sum, I think (only speculation) we are going to see a retro styled FF DSLR that is going to be somewhat marketed as a special edition. Whatever it may turn out to be, I am most interested in what is meant by "hybrid".
It seems that Nikon is jumping on the bandwagon of the retro styling that Fuji owns at the moment and they also seem to want to bring forth a no non-sense, straightforward, non-gimmicky camera. Those aspects are what attract many photographers to the likes of Fuji as well.
Anyhow, I suppose we all have to wait until the first weeks of November.

dmc

I'm not sure that this is "band-wagon" jumping. I think that all camera manufacturers are suffering the loss of a large part of their point and shoot business to smart phones. These companies are looking for ways to make up for margin loss and boutique style cameras may be one way to do this. Look for lots more unique cameras from all manufacturers in the next few months.

​Never-the-less, put me down for one. A digital FM2? Excellent!

Mark F

According to Nikon Rumors... the Retro will not include video... yet another plus! Saying it will be released first part of November. This is definately something I could get wrapped around depending on the price. If they arent stupid with pricing, it should be an affordable FX.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've kept my Hasselblad 500M just hoping that one day a company will manufacture and sell a full 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 back for it at a decent price. For me, this would be my ultimate camera. In the meantime, I'm more than happy with Nikon's full frame cameras (D600 & 700).

But I'd love to see what my old Zeiss lenses would produce on a full frame digital back.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've kept my Hasselblad 500M just hoping that one day a company will manufacture and sell a full 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 back for it at a decent price. For me, this would be my ultimate camera. In the meantime, I'm more than happy with Nikon's full frame cameras (D600 & 700).

But I'd love to see what my old Zeiss lenses would produce on a full frame digital back.

Hi Marcel. I'm not familiar with MF cameras but I saw these lenses too from one of the shops in Tokyo. Are these lenses compatible with your blad? I'm not sure if they are reasonably priced or not.

Hasselblad by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Marcel. I'm not familiar with MF cameras but I saw these lenses too from one of the shops in Tokyo. Are these lenses compatible with your blad? I'm not sure if they are reasonably priced or not.

Hasselblad by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Glenn, they probably are. They haven't changed much before they became digital (no shutter in the lenses for the digital models). Their prices seem reasonable but I already have an 80, 150 and 250. The only one I'd get IF THE FULL frame back would show up would be the 40mm distagon. But let's say I'm not holding my breath on this one. I just bought the camera and lenses because I have regretted selling mine plus, I just like to look at them and eventually I might have a nice Hasselblad display case in my living room. This is me. :)