This Old House

BackdoorArts

Spend the better part of 3 hours exploring this place with my brother of Friday. Outside of the bathroom, I was surprised how uncreepy the place was - that is until my brother shouted up from the basement, "There's a couple freezers down here. One of them is closed - should I open it? I'm going to open it..."

First, some IR Exteriors taken with the D7000 Conversion and 18-105mm

10383896784_935494fdc1_o.jpg

10384758596_2f5716fdfb_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

As for the color, it was all shot with my D600 (which likely took on a lot of dust in 3 hours of 30 second exposures). Lenses are either the 16-35mm f4, or a Rokinon 8mm Fisheye DX lens shot in FX and cropped in post (gains me a couple pixels). Mix of HDR and single frame. Regardless, all were post-processed in LR, PS and Nik HDR Efex Pro 2, Viveza 2 and Color Efex Pro 4.

10359159223_065f104d77_o.jpg

(HDR)

10378263476_602171463e_o.jpg

(HDR)

10361991894_661c3a8195_o.jpg

10360981606_56e62a32dd_o.jpg

10383180936_b6cf6d7fdb_o.jpg

10379034886_d18a68cecd_o.jpg

10355493284_acefafe20d_o.jpg

10361169383_9dccbc564c_o.jpg

10379036264_fa97e19815_o.jpg

(2 frame HDR)

10360983266_83c9c33b69_o.jpg

10383143054_7459553bfa_o.jpg

(HDR)

10383926206_238598ecaf_o.jpg

10355062936_3c352f3d6c_o.jpg

(HDR)

10383136474_32756878b8_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

Very cool IR shots Jake..
Is this how they appear straight off the camera or lot of PP??

Lots of PP. Unfortunately I've yet to tune in a consistent IR profile that makes it easy to grab this color profile. It's a combination of a camera profile my brother built, RAW tint adjustments, PS Hue adjustments, PS Selective Color tweaks, Structure and Light adjustments in Nik Viveza 2, and finally filtering in Color Efex Pro 4 that will vary by subject, but usually involves the Detail Extractor filter and then some mix of Color Contrast, Dark Contrast and Low Pass filters, with a possible additional tweak in LR when all is said and done. It's a LOT of work, which is why I did the color interiors first. I have a bunch of IR from 2 other places we stopped that is a little daunting.

BackdoorArts

Great shots. I love the color you got in these shots.

NOW....
So what was in the freezer??

We were really taken by the colors throughout this place - one layer on top of another. I would love to see photos of what it was like in there when people were living in it. The place was obviously heated by one or two stoves and a set of chimneys that ran up through the floors and from room to room.

As for what was in the freezer, if you MUST know, it was just the smell of what used to be in the freezer. My brother has had enough near misses with finding a body while working his newspaper job that he's convinced that he's eventually going to stumble on one, so we'd been talking about it. Then when he saw the freezer I think he thought his day had come. LOL

We were really taken by the colors throughout this place - one layer on top of another. I would love to see photos of what it was like in there when people were living in it. The place was obviously heated by one or two stoves and a set of chimneys that ran up through the floors and from room to room.

As for what was in the freezer, if you MUST know, it was just the smell of what used to be in the freezer. My brother has had enough near misses with finding a body while working his newspaper job that he's convinced that he's eventually going to stumble on one, so we'd been talking about it. Then when he saw the freezer I think he thought his day had come. LOL

And there is no worse smell than a closed freezer that was left with meat in it and the power turned off for a while.

BackdoorArts

And there is no worse smell than a closed freezer that was left with meat in it and the power turned off for a while.

Agreed. Thankfully, it was cleaned at some point and what was left was the aroma of old, damp, vegetative air, and not that of "used to be meat", which is what I was expecting.

BackdoorArts

Some of the areas of the house were so dark, especially later in the day, that even with +/-2 EV bracketing HDR the "light" photo was barely different than the metered shot in the areas you wanted it to be. So, I decided to take the head light I brought in and try my first shot at painting with light. While I believe I did a better than average job in my subject area, I totally ignored the idea that a fisheye is really wide. Still, I sort of like it. :) This is a single frame, 30 sec exposure from my D600, processed only in LR and Nik Viveza 2.0.

10389633493_6bbcd4446d_o.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Lol--so it wasn't that creepy? How about if you go back in alone on Halloween night?!! ;)

BackdoorArts

Turning around in the same hallway, looking in the other direction, here's try #3 (second try was a similar result from view 1, but still intruded on the frame and did not improve on the stairs photo from the set above). I'm almost happy with this, but thrilled when I consider the light source. Again, LR and Viveza 2.0 only.

10389868933_88fefed4f9_o.jpg

BackdoorArts

Lol--so it wasn't that creepy? How about if you go back in alone on Halloween night?!! ;)

With the photo of my brother in the window (posted in my HDR thread), that was a 3 frame HDR we did just before dusk. Most of the light in the house was gone by then, so when he appeared in the window he said, "It's getting spooky in here. Like the 'Blair Witch Project'. So hurry up, OK?!" This was after he was wandering around the chicken coop out back and a Grouse flew out of the brush 2 feet away from him and "almost literally scared the sh*t out of me". When we were on the deck later that night staring at the full moon he said, "OK, let's go back NOW". LOL