Classic Nikon Cameras

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I just wanted to share some of the cameras and lenses that I never even thought existed until I visited one of the many shops who still sells these collector's items in their store. I'm sure some of the members here have owned and used one of them at one point. I would like to hear your stories back in the earlier years of your photography journey.

Disclosure: I'm not trying to advertise or sell these items. They just intrigue me.

Nikon 021 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

This particular lens looks definitely rare which is also reflected on it's price.

Nikon 020 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Nikon 019 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Nikon 018 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Nikon 017 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

Nikon 016 by gqtuazon, on Flickr

mikew_RIP

Had the Nikomat,FE,F3 high eyepoint,FM for a very short while,my favorite was the F3hp to be able to view the screen from a couple of inches away was fantastic at the time,always wanted an F but never got one.

nzswift

I still have my F3 with MD-4 and firing rate converter. Great camera, just felt perfect in your hands. Great viewfinder as mentioned. Smooth as silk film advance.
The S3 looks a good buy at 5X the price of a FM2!

gqtuazon

Gear Head
“Nikomat”? If it was just the tag, I'd dismiss it as a typo, but that's what it says on the camera itself.

What is this, some counterfeit knockoff? Surely that's not a genuine Nikon, is it?

Japanese are not allowed to sell counterfeit products. It is against their law.

ABN Panzer

“Nikomat”? If it was just the tag, I'd dismiss it as a typo, but that's what it says on the camera itself.

What is this, some counterfeit knockoff? Surely that's not a genuine Nikon, is it?
It's not a counterfeit... I've seen them before and had wondered the same thing.
Nikkormat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japanese are not allowed to sell counterfeit products. It is against their law.
That is funny. No one is ever murdered in the United States either... It is against our law. :p

I've bought quite a few 'knock-offs' from Japan, back in the day. Nothing expensive and not from standard stores/etc. I also knew they were knock-offs before I bought them though. You just have to know where to look or have someone else help you find them.

Last edited:

oldsalt

Yep - Nikomat's are real...... I bought a used one in Hong Kong many (many) years ago - during a "weekend" off" from a little fracas a bit south of there...
I also had an F3 HP (lovely unit) and of course the FE2 ... all good cameras, wish I had thought to keep a few - plus I had a very good run with some Minolta gear - SRT 101... SRT 303... plus a pile of their glass (veeeery nice) ahhh the joys of a mis-spent youth....:D
cheers

gqtuazon

Gear Head
That is funny. No one is ever murdered in the United States either... It is against our law. :p

I've bought quite a few 'knock-offs' from Japan, back in the day. Nothing expensive and not from standard stores/etc. I also knew they were knock-offs before I bought them though. You just have to know where to look or have someone else help you find them.

Legitimate Japanese owned stores will not sell you counterfeit items nowadays. I don't know how long was that "back in the days" you were referring to but even stores that sells used items, they don't sell fake items unless the sellers are from other countries like China.

ABN Panzer

I don't know how long was that "back in the days" you were referring to but even stores that sells used items, they don't sell fake items unless the sellers are from other countries like China.

Two... two and a half years ago. Nothing to get bent out of shape over. I was just poking fun at the fact that that a 'group of people' wont do something because it is illegal. When, in fact, many will. Hence my silly comment on murder in the US.
Cant think of any legitimate stores anywhere that will sell counterfeit items.
Like I said. The comment was made in jest.

*Edit*: The "Bent out of shape" comment may be a bit strong. Just meant that I'm not besmirching all, or any part, of Japan. Just not something to take offense at.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Two... two and a half years ago. Nothing to get bent out of shape over. I was just poking fun at the fact that that a 'group of people' wont do something because it is illegal. When, in fact, many will. Hence my silly comment on murder in the US.
Cant think of any legitimate stores anywhere that will sell counterfeit items.
Like I said. The comment was made in jest.

*Edit*: The "Bent out of shape" comment may be a bit strong. Just meant that I'm not besmirching all, or any part, of Japan. Just not something to take offense at.

No worries. I've lived in this host nation for more than 8 combined years. I know the culture here and it's sad to say that I feel much more safer here than in the U.S. I grew up in Southern California and I know the difference. I'm not saying that it's a bad community but there are certain communities that will require you to keep your windows reinforced with steel bars. Japan is probably one of the few countries were looting didn't occur after the earthquake. Sorry for the OT.

Brian

I found this site, and this thread on a google search.
"Nikomat"- I have a Nikomat FTn and a Nikomat EL. The name was challenged by Zeiss as it sounded too much like "Ikomat". Nikon had to change the name, Nikkormat was used. Before that, Nikon used "Nikkorex" for their first lower-cost SLR.

An introduction- I am a long-time user and collector of Nikon gear, and other classic gear.
My "crown-jewel" is the Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5, picked up a few months ago after spending 22 years looking for one.

Nikkor-SC 5cm F1.5, The lens that brought attention to the Japanese Camera Industry

It is THE LENS that grabbed world-wide attention for Nikon.

tmcguire17

The first camera I ever used was the Nikkormat FTn 50 mm f1.2. My father bought it when we lived in Japan in 1966. I still use it. Open the back and all the seals still look brand new. Between the two of us that camera has seen alot of the world. Still use my F5 shot with it today as a matter of fact. Beast!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk