Viewing posted photos

How do you view and assess photos on the forum?

• Total voters

WeeHector

I suppose like many on the forum, I only want my best shots to be posted and have put aside fairly decent photos because they don't fit the 100% criterium. By that I mean photos which look great at 50 or 66% in Photoshop but which, at 100%, show signs of being out of focus. Are we being paranoid as few will ever see the photo at full resolution? However, shots posted on the forum are to a lesser resolution (max 1024 px per side) and mostly need a "right click: view photo" to see them at their full size.

My question is: how do you judge photos on the forum? Do you view them at thumbnail level, increased size or at view image level?

mikew_RIP

I click them to enlarge,i enjoy an image for its content mostly,slight focus error or noise will not stop me from liking a photo.

mike

nickt

I don't always think to right click and view image (on any site) unless I'm having trouble and need to try it. So mostly here, I just left click and view. I'm not so critical at what I see. I'm looking at two levels, for one, I enjoy seeing places/bugs/wildlife that I might not get to see around my location, and for two, I am trying to learn to take better photos. I understand the work it takes, so if a photo is a little shaky or out of focus, I learn from it without judging it as a poor photo. There is a wide range of experience here, so a poster may also be learning or maybe he made the best of available conditions. Its all helpful to me.

With me it depends on the photographer. Some people here I am more critical of since I expect more of them. Just to pick on one person. Dave W, I expect his photos to be perfect and it they are not I have to wonder why and generally ask him. A new photographer with a new camera I look at a smaller size and am mainly looking for how much thought and work he put into his shot. If someone shows that they are really working at becoming better I will look closer at what they are doing and will look at it in a larger size and I will watch this person more closely in the future. If this person is a snap-shooter I probably won't look at their photos in other then the size they posted.

The more effort I see in a person the more effort I will put in looking at their photos.

PS
Dave is not the only photographer I keep an eye on. There are many here.

WeeHector

With me it depends on the photographer. Some people here I am more critical of since I expect more of them. Just to pick on one person. Dave W, I expect his photos to be perfect and it they are not I have to wonder why and generally ask him. A new photographer with a new camera I look at a smaller size and am mainly looking for how much thought and work he put into his shot. If someone shows that they are really working at becoming better I will look closer at what they are doing and will look at it in a larger size and I will watch this person more closely in the future. If this person is a snap-shooter I probably won't look at their photos in other then the size they posted.

The more effort I see in a person the more effort I will put in looking at their photos.

PS
Dave is not the only photographer I keep an eye on. There are many here.

Great answer, Don. At first I used to post what I thought was good and hoped that others would feel the same about it. Now I tend to wonder how others will see it before I post. That is making me a better photographer. Stuff which I feel isn't at 100% gets put aside even though there may be photos which others might like to see. However in view of the results of the poll, I may be tempted in future to post some of the 66%ers (though not too many).

whistlingpete

After re-reading the poll options, I realize I mistakenly picked the third item and should have selected "I enlarge them within the post".

I generally will enlarge them because it's tough to see any level of detail with the as-posted image, but that's not intended to be critical, but rather to accommodate my eyesight.

My sense of the forum is it is a very encouraging environment, and as WeeHector noted the decision to post or not, has more to do with our critical eye.

Great answer, Don. At first I used to post what I thought was good and hoped that others would feel the same about it. Now I tend to wonder how others will see it before I post. That is making me a better photographer. Stuff which I feel isn't at 100% gets put aside even though there may be photos which others might like to see. However in view of the results of the poll, I may be tempted in future to post some of the 66%ers (though not too many).

I think we all need to post some of the 66%ers. This is one of the ways we can grow.

Bill16

I tend to click to in large the photos most of the time, especially if I like the topic or the photo stands out as awesome in some way to me! My eyesite is my main reason for inlarging shots though.lol :D

WeeHector

After re-reading the poll options, I realize I mistakenly picked the third item and should have selected "I enlarge them within the post".

I generally will enlarge them because it's tough to see any level of detail with the as-posted image, but that's not intended to be critical, but rather to accommodate my eyesight.

My sense of the forum is it is a very encouraging environment, and as WeeHector noted the decision to post or not, has more to do with our critical eye.

I also have eyesight problems though generally with anything close up (great handicap for doing macro photography :D) though I manage to get by. I tend to look at photos at 100% for details but prefer to get the overall picture at a lower zoom. I hope that the results of this poll, which are showing an overwhelming vote in favour of enlarged photos (750 or 800 px?) over 1024 pixels will encourage others to post, especially in the realm of macro where focus is all-important. We can't all be Scott Murrays :love-struck: but we can do our best to emulate him

nikonpup

be kind to the "optically" challenged viewers, please enlarge your posts. Thanks. Just a couple clicks of the mouse and you may get more "likes".

wornish

I wanted to click on both enlarge within the post and "view image" as I prefer to see them as large as possible. I have learnt a lot from this site by seeing what others can achieve in terms of focus and composition and that pushes me to improve my own technique. Have to say the encouragement you get from the members here is something special.

snaphappy

I occasionally click to enlarge but mostly look at them as posted. I always downsize my photos to 1000px before I upload as I thought that was the size they should be for uploading but they never look as nice as my original. I usually set them to medium. I have noticed that some people that seem to be the most knowledgable rarely ever post photos. I think the way to learn is to see what others do and then figure out how you'd do it differently or learn something new from a great photo.