How good is commerciall scanning

mikew_RIP

Part of my plan is to get three prime lenses for the D7000 ai or ais,this puts me close to good old film photography with the addition of a F3 body,i said i would never do it big mistake you should never say never.
If i shot print film are the scanned images done by normal labs at the time of processing any good or would i be needing to scan them myself.

mike

LensWork

It all depends upon the lab. A local lab here charges only $5 for a CD at time of processing. These scans are single-pass 2000x3000 (~6MP). They also offer 4,000DPI, multi-pass scanning for ~$15 per image, and varying resolutions in-between.

Sandpatch

In the year before I bought my D5100, I was reluctant to shelve my perfectly serviceable Nikon N2020, so shot color print film and had it processed with a CD at the local Walgreens national USA drug store chain (a Chemist is it in the UK? :) ]. The results were excellent to my eyes. The jpg files on the CD were about 800MB, so retained excellent resolution and color.

JudeIscariot

I don't trust labs to scan things the way I'd like, so I simply do it myself. This way I can modify the original scan using the software that comes with the scanner, and then do everything I need in PS, too.

As for "how good" it is? It depends on where you go. Some people complain about dust marks at some places, and other places do everything just fine. I'm just a control freak about my images, myself, so I don't bother with it.