Nikon Micro

jplus2

Does a Nikon micro lens do the same job as a 28-105 micro nikon lens. And does a zoom lens do the same job as a micro lens. It is for art work, document, historical markers and portrait use. Please help. I am getting a nikon 35mm 1.8 lens for my camera.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
A straight micro lens of fixed focal length is much better for art work and document photography. Most zooms have some barrel distortion that would be very apparent in copy work. I think a macro lens is much better for that matter.

WayneF

The 28-105 is not a true micro lens. The micro would focus closer, but the 28-105 does come close.

For example, the 35mm f/1.8 lens focuses close enough that its largest reproduction ratio is 1:6.25 (1/6 the size on the sensor than in real life)

The 28-105mm focuses close enough that its largest reproduction ratio is 1:2 (image is 1/2 the size as the original.)

A real regular micro lens will focus to 1:1, (image is same the size as the original.)

Photograph a penny up close as possible. A penny is 3/4 inch diameter.
The images of the penny are:

35 mm - 1/8 inch diameter
28-2105 - 3/8 inch
real micro lens - 3/4 inch

This is size on the senor, which is easier to imagine as film... the size on the negative. Digital is same thing, we just cannot take it out and look at it.

1:2 from the 28-105 should be sufficient for your use. You speak of objects much larger than a penny.

A letter size piece of paper (document) cannot be reproduced at 1:1 size. For DX, more like 1:9 is all that would be possible. The 35mm lens could do that, it should be sufficient too.

The 28-105 could do as much as 1:2 (half size of a tiny subject). But you cannot use that much for a larger object.

Last edited:

Nikon Photographer

Depends on what type of macro work your going to be doing, I bought this lens new in 1999, and still have it, it's a cracking lens, macro only works from the 50mm setting, and the macro setting needs a switch on the side of the lens flicking accross to the 'Macro' setting, I did have the 60mm Nikkor macro, but sold it, I'll be getting the 105mm very soon.

Here's a few photo's taken with the 28-105mm

butterfly-2.jpgorchids.jpgorchids-2.jpgorchids-3.jpgorchids-4.jpgsingle-orchid.jpg