Taking Picture of New York City at Night From Hotel Room

Spazzer

Hi All,
This is my first post so go easy on me ha ha.
I am off to New York soon with family and I am not a very good photographer and don't understand all the different settings on my Nikon D40 Camera, I was wondering if anyone can help explain very simply how I can take a picture or pictures from the Hotel etc of the City Lights over new York. I have a small Table Top Tripod and would love to know how I can do this.
As I say I'm not technically minded when it comes to photography all I know is the camera takes lovely pics and would appreciate some help if possible.
All the Best Nick

pedroj

Hi and welcome...If it were I, I would put the camera in Aperture priority at F8 on a tripod, focus on the subject and to avoid blurring use the self timer to activate the shutter...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites.

Well, since you have a table top tripod, at least you can keep the camera from moving during the long exposure required to take night shots. The one most important thing you have to remember is to turn all the lights off in the room you are. If you don't, you'll end up with reflections from the inside of your room.

Second is that depending on the scene, you might have to compensate for the camera's metering. Take a test pic and look at your result. If too bright, introduce some under-exposure until you like what you see. Digital has it's perks...

Good luck and please do share these when you come back.

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

The one nice thing about digital cameras is the fact that you can see the results of the photo on the spot and compensate and try again. Have fun and keep trying till you get the perfect photo. Also try bracketing your shots so you can get the perfect exposure once you get back home and get them loaded on your computer.

Scott Murray

I'll also add that if shooting through a glass window while its shut make sure you have the lens touching the glass square on otherwise you will get reflections of the room itself.

Spazzer

Hi,
Thanks for all your replies I really appreciate the help, can I just say I don't really understand what under exposure is and how to compensate for the metering as I'm not very technical with these things but am certainly going to try and understand, I'm assuming under exposure means the to get a better pic the lens or is it the aperture needs to be open longer or is this the shutter (sorry if I sound stupid) because if its dark it needs more time to properly take the picture is this sort of correct, I don't know much more at mo but thanks for your replies. ;)

pedroj

You have to be willing to help your self a bit....Probably a good idea to do some reading of your manual and check out you tube