To all Members of Nikonites

SFC

Long experience that I hope not to experience again.

On or about three weeks ago, give or take I was going to transfer from my bed to my wheelchair when my right knee gave out. Now mind you this was my better knee or at least better than my left knee, both knees, ankles, shoulders, left wrist, lower back and head trauma were injured during a "Training Exercise" according to the Army in 1969. when my right knee gave out it also included my right ankle which was inverted and I was wedged between the bed and wall and could not move. Finally the Fire Department and Paramedics arrived to get me out of the excruciating pain and told me to head to ER, I did after seeing my VA Doctor telling me go I already called it in and ER is waiting on you. Well two hours or tormenting pain at ER and headed back to my VA Doctor which is 35 miles in each direction. I was told it was not broken, but did see the fractures, cracks, chips and other injuries from 1969, now this was my good ankle as my left ankle was crushed and broken in three places. The worse thing one can do is sprang an ankle and as of today I still use ice and heat on my ankle three to four times a day. The heat I use is .075 Trixaicin a prescription strength of Capsaicin[FONT=arial, sans-serif] is the ingredient found in different types of peppers, such as cayenne peppers, that makes the peppers hot. The main warning is do not get in your eyes or sensitive areas. This is hot, even more so when my wife has to put in on with surgical gloves, rubs it in then adds more and wraps my ankle in an ACE Bandage, feels like flames shooting out from my foot when she finally returns with the ice packs.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately it does not end here for when it rains it pours, first my computer crashes and I'm so broke I cannot even pay attention; then my PTSD hit me with great force causing more Chronic Pain, hitting the Bourbon (Maker's 46) more and more, confusion, flashbacks, having a hard time concentrating from my Army head trauma, etc., and then I have lost the desire and interest in doing anything.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]​I have been trying for the past ten years for a Service Dog for my PTSD and assist me in my wheelchair, which I am suppose to hear some thing something sometime within a week or so. I did get another computer and it seems to be okay for a couple of hours before becoming frustrated.

​One thing I did want to make clear is my absence had noting to do with the critiques of the pictures I took as I take them as constructive criticism

SFC
[/FONT]

carguy

Hope you get these things sorted out soon sir!
dancingcool.gif

mikeh32217

SFC,

I'm a Viet Nam era Marine (67_70) spent 2 tours in country and know how debilitating PTSD can be and that no one seems to care about us, we are the lost generation. Fortunately I am one of the few that are still in relatively fair heath physically, but the scars of the war will forever haunt us. But we must go on and know that now you have another brother you never knew you had and someone else that cares. If you ever need to talk, rant or just need someone to listen contact me.

Semper Fi,
Mike

SFC

SFC,

I'm a Viet Nam era Marine (67_70) spent 2 tours in country and know how debilitating PTSD can be and that no one seems to care about us, we are the lost generation. Fortunately I am one of the few that are still in relatively fair heath physically, but the scars of the war will forever haunt us. But we must go on and know that now you have another brother you never knew you had and someone else that cares. If you ever need to talk, rant or just need someone to listen contact me.

Semper Fi,
Mike

For some of us, like myself cannot about that country, although I have explained to my psychiatrist any thing I tell you cannot and will not leave this room, and first thing she says I need to get you in a support group. HOLD on there did I just not say this was not to leave this room and I refuse to discuss what I did with anyone, I was not a Spook

Welcome home brother, enjoy what you can get from VA as it is very little for the Vietnam/Cold War era Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, Sailor and even the Coast Guard from the mid 1950's to the mid 1970's.

Thanks
​SFC

RockyNH_RIP

Welcome Home and welcome back.... Active US Army 1971 -1973 .. Nam Era but not in country...
Wishing you the best i dealing with the demons, you will find friends here....

Pat in NH

mikeh32217

For some of us, like myself cannot about that country, although I have explained to my psychiatrist any thing I tell you cannot and will not leave this room, and first thing she says I need to get you in a support group. HOLD on there did I just not say this was not to leave this room and I refuse to discuss what I did with anyone, I was not a Spook

Welcome home brother, enjoy what you can get from VA as it is very little for the Vietnam/Cold War era Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, Sailor and even the Coast Guard from the mid 1950's to the mid 1970's.

Thanks
​SFC

Tell me about it! A while back I was told that I was wasting resources that could be better used for the real heros coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan. Makes you proud don't it?
We not only have to battle with the demons we brought back but the everyday demos we find at home!
My son's been in the Marines for 2 yeas now and I'm so proud of him and all the other kids/men that carry on in our footsteps.

SFC

Tell me about it! A while back I was told that I was wasting resources that could be better used for the real heros coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan. Makes you proud don't it?
We not only have to battle with the demons we brought back but the everyday demos we find at home!
My son's been in the Marines for 2 yeas now and I'm so proud of him and all the other kids/men that carry on in our footsteps.

I had to give this some thought as I do respect our Iraqi Freedom and Afghanistan Veterans that have been injured as bad if not worse that our Vietnam Vets. The reason I say this is, Vietnam Vets have been through more of combat hand to hand battles, they have seen a flood of enemy coming at them killing anywhere from 40,000 to 100,000 in one wave only to face another 80,000 enemy soldiers the next day. Just where in the hell were all these enemy soldiers coming from? were they being massed produced? Here is my answer. The Vietnam Soldiers were a combination of minimum of three countries North Vietnamese, North Vietnamese Army and the the Vietcong. the North Vietnamese were soldiers from Laos, Cambodia, and other small Communist countries. The North Vietnamese Army (NA) came from North Vietnam and China and the Vietcong (VC) were rebels who stood for the young republic against the US. I was never in Vietnam, per Se but I did speak fluent Russian and they were the 4th county involved in supplying firearms, jets, radars, ammunition and guidance in how to destroy the US.

PTSD should be on every Vietnam Vets resume, one must remember we were the first to go to war as an Unconventional Warfare.

mikew_RIP

I have no idea of what you have been through,as i said in another post ime the lucky generation in the UK i have not had to fight in a war,all i can say is hope every thing improves for you.

mike

oldsalt

G'day SFC,
I can only reiterate all the well wishers comments.... my family have a "military" history... my paternal grandad died quite young after coming home from the Western Front in France (he was gassed & shot twice) - my mother lost three brothers during WW2 (they're buried in Libya) - my dear old dad was on a destroyer during WW2 - my little sister has just retired from the Australian Army after 31 years service (East Timor - Iraq) and I was in the Royal Australian Navy (plus a stint with the USN - long story) did some time on "Yankee Station" and took a couple of chopper rides to some fire bases (another long story) plus I managed to do a bit of time in Laos (a very long/complicated/unofficial story - I had a great CO who looked the other way to some of my little adventures) so I really feel for you in your situation... your country (and everyone of us) thanks you for your service.

My dear old dad died a few months ago and at the moment his ashes are on an Australian warship (H.M.A.S. Tobruk) which left Sydney last Monday and they will be scattered at sea by the Chaplain during their next Sunday church service... a fitting end to an old sailors life.
A memorial plaque has been placed on a "wall of remembrance" in Hobart for him - it's where he was born and where he joined the navy as a mere teenager (he lied about his age so he could join up)... my wife and I are flying down to see the plaque later this year... I'll be sure to put up a photo on here.

God bless you and God bless America.

SFC

G'day SFC,
I can only reiterate all the well wishers comments.... my family have a "military" history... my paternal grandad died quite young after coming home from the Western Front in France (he was gassed & shot twice) - my mother lost three brothers during WW2 (they're buried in Libya) - my dear old dad was on a destroyer during WW2 - my little sister has just retired from the Australian Army after 31 years service (East Timor - Iraq) and I was in the Royal Australian Navy (plus a stint with the USN - long story) did some time on "Yankee Station" and took a couple of chopper rides to some fire bases (another long story) plus I managed to do a bit of time in Laos (a very long/complicated/unofficial story - I had a great CO who looked the other way to some of my little adventures) so I really feel for you in your situation... your country (and everyone of us) thanks you for your service.

My dear old dad died a few months ago and at the moment his ashes are on an Australian warship (H.M.A.S. Tobruk) which left Sydney last Monday and they will be scattered at sea by the Chaplain during their next Sunday church service... a fitting end to an old sailors life.
A memorial plaque has been placed on a "wall of remembrance" in Hobart for him - it's where he was born and where he joined the navy as a mere teenager (he lied about his age so he could join up)... my wife and I are flying down to see the plaque later this year... I'll be sure to put up a photo on here.

God bless you and God bless America.

My condolences to you and your loved ones

Sorry I have not been around my PTSD has put me on hold for a while. Not an excuse, just an after experience of what I have been through, unfortunately I have no control when it kicks in.

oldsalt

Thanks for your condolences SFC... he'll be sadly missed.
Here he is at last years "Anzac day" parade (equivalent of Veterans day in the U.S.)

dad & medals.jpg