How often are you using...

Michael J.

... your wide-angle lens? I mean taking photos 100% how many % are taken by wide-angle?

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Scott Murray

Depends on my mood, currently I have been using my macro lens. But when I get my car running and able to get back to landscapes I will be using my wide angle moer.

Horoscope Fish

Well that depends on what you mean by, "wide angle"... Is 35mm wide? I think I'd have to say less than half my shooting is done at 35mm or less but a specific average would be difficult.

Thing is, when I do want go wide I typically want to go wide very BADLY because the shot is not going to work any other way. I also, typically, want to shoot *very* wide or just not shoot it.

Then of course there are things like "group shots" where WA is handy, but you don't need such extremes.

Last edited:

480sparky

I never bother with stats. I don't care how many of my images are taken at f/11, or are taken between 2PM and 4PM, or how many of my images are taken with a certain lens, or whatever. All I care about is whether I'm getting the images I want.

Besides, do I count ALL the frames I take, or do I count 11 shots taken to create an HDR or focus stack as just one?

If I said 85% of my images were taken at 24-35mm, how does that help you? :confused: Is 20mm a wide-angle, or an ultra-wide? Do I count those as well? How about fisheyes..... Full frame or circular?

Moab Man

Tokina 11-16
Very little or a lot. If I see a landscape shot where the clouds are extending all the way back to me and they look spectacular or a sunset that does the same I will pull it out. And on occasion when there is a picture I want but the area doesn't allow me to back up.

When shooting the Milky Way or star photography it is my primary lens.

I guess I would say that it's used about 10 to 15 percent but those times I use it no other lens will do what it can do. It is my favorite lens.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I went back and looked in Lightroom at my travel catalog. Approximately 15% of my images are taken with either the Sigma 10-20mm or the 1 Nikkor 6.7-13mm.

BackdoorArts

Really depends. On the Princeton Photowalk I'd say 50% of the shots with my D600 were shot with my 16-35mm. I had the 18-105mm on my D7000 and that spent about 1/2 its time wide open or close to it. Tomorrow I'm headed out to shoot with my brother, a combination of foliage, old ruins and waterfalls, and who knows, and I suspect it'll see similar use. Then there will be stretches where it will stay in my bag for weeks on end because the 24-85mm is more than wide enough for most of my needs, though I will shoot at the 24-35mm range with it quite often.

Using Eduard's technique, almost exactly 1 of 7 photos taken in 2013 (and still in my LR catalog) were taken using the 16-35mm. About 30% were taken with the 24-85mm, and about 1/2 were either the 70-200mm, 105mm or 150-500mm.

Last edited:

Michael J.

If I said 85% of my images were taken at 24-35mm, how does that help you? :confused: Is 20mm a wide-angle, or an ultra-wide? Do I count those as well? How about fisheyes..... Full frame or circular?

It helps me as I wanna buy a wide-angle 10-20mm for my Christmas-trip. I've got the 16-85mm an so far the most used one. Now that I saw lots of great landscape photos here but taken with FX and 18mm I thought to buy a 10-20 for my DX.

But only for one time per year I think it is not that necessary that's why I asked how often do you use. So I can see in a great number of photographers here how often they are using the wide-angle.

That's why I asked. And sorry for bothering you with my question.

dmc

It helps me as I wann buy a wide-angle 10-20mm for my Christmas-trip. I've got the 16-85mm an so far the most used one. Now that I saw lots of great landscape photos here but taken with FX and 18mm I thought to buy a 10-20 for my DX. But only for one time per year I think it is not that neccerssary that's why I asked how often do you use. So I can see in a great number of photographers here how often they are using the wide-angle. That's why I asked. Ans sorry for bothering you with my question.

Don't be sorry, it was a great question. I shoot 75% with my 35mm and the rest with a 50mm. I rarely touch my 16-35. To each their own, I guess.

Lee532

My Sigma 10-20mm goes with me every time I take the camera out and I would say I use it on 80 to 90% of my photographic outings.

480sparky

........That's why I asked. And sorry for bothering you with my question.

It's not that it bothers me. I just don't understand how MY shooting habits should affect YOUR purchases. If nothing else, rent the lens for your trip and when you return home re-evaluate whether a purchase makes sense.

Michael J.

If nothing else, rent the lens for your trip and when you return home re-evaluate whether a purchase makes sense.

I would if I could. But here in Thailand is nothing for rent so far. I asked in so many shops already. So I guess I'm going to buy it and use it. It's not that big problem.

Horoscope Fish

Do as you wish but you say already have a 16-85mm...

I'm not sure how strongly I could suggest another lens for just 6mm. Still, I can appreciate everyone has their own shooting style and so forth.

RON_RIP

Use to have the Tokina 11-16. Awesome lens but found myself using at at 11 very seldom. now have 16-85 just like you and i find it wide enough 98% of the time and really appreciate its reach. As much as I rack my brain I cannot come up with a better combination zoom for my camera; but wish they made the 16-85 in an f4 constant aperture.

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
If you are concerned about how much you may use it, why not purchase a used one from a reputable source? For instance, you can find a used Sigma 10-20 on KEH between US$330-370. I'm not sure if they ship to your location but you might be able to find one that someone traded in at a camera shop.

Phillydog1958

I've been using mine plenty, as of lately. That's because I'm shooting more landscapes and urban. I've noticed that my 16-35 is on my camera almost 30-40% of the time. It's becoming my walk-around lens. The same thing goes for my V2. I tend to keep my 6.7-13mm on it.

Last edited: