DIY Cheap studio lighting for under $75

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I've been researching what it would take to get some studio lights in my house without spending thousands of dollars on a pro setup. What I found was surprising. I could do it for under $75 with items that you can commonly find online or even Home Depot / Lowes. Heck you may already have some of these items, making things even cheaper.

What you'll need:

1. Work lights, like these: Amazon.com: Designers Edge L14SLED 1000-Watt Twin-Head Adjustable Work Light with Telescoping Tripod Stand, Halogen: Home Improvement
  2. Floor light (optional), like this: Designers Edge L33 Portable Halogen Work Light with Switch, Orange, 500-Watt - Amazon.com
  3. Light gel: Amazon.com: Lee Full Blue (CTB), 20" x 24" Color Correcting Lighting Filter: Camera & Photo
  4. Masking tape
  5. Clothes rack, like this: Amazon.com - Whitmor 6021-3539-BB Adjustable Garment Rack
  6. Spring clamps, like these: Amazon.com: Neiko 4-Piece 4-Inch Spring Clamps with PVC Coated Handle and Tips: Home Improvement
  7. White bed sheet
  8. Reflective sunshade, like this: Max Reflector Standard Accordion Shade : Amazon.com : Automotive
  9. A box, or flash stand to prop/clip the reflector to

Total: $71.17 (minus optional floor light)

61Bj940DUzL._SY606_.jpg31w4w-ie9zL._SY450_.jpg41zAvchLBpL._SX385_.jpg417A569X29L._SX385_.jpg

Set things up

The setup is relatively simple. Bright lights behind a bed sheet for defused, soft, natural light. You'll more than likely want to use this in conjunction with some other kind of bounce flash, off camera flash, or catch light. The floor light linked to above can light your background or you can use it in different combinations with the reflector.

First you'll want to set things up. Assemble the lights, the clothes rack, and drape the bed sheet over the cloths rack. Use the spring clamps to secure it.

For the gels you'll want to cut them to slightly bigger than the light. Do this with the light off! Cut triangles out of the corners for it to wrap around the light properly. Do NOT put the gels directly on the light glass or housing - put it around the protective cage only. I would recommend masking tape to secure things. I looked up the temp rating on the gels linked to above and they will go to 356 degrees fahrenheit (180 celsius). You should be okay, but I would watch carefully for melting just to be sure. I checked the temperature on the housing (not the protective cage) of my light with a thermal gun and it maxed at 250 degrees.

Alternative lighting options
There is a slightly more expensive alternative to the work lights above. CFL lights. They will be more daylight like, cooler, use less energy, and won't require gels. The solution would involve buying something like this:
  1. Light housings: Bayco SL-302B3 10-1/2-Inch Brooder Clamp Light with Porcelain Ceramic Socket - Amazon.com
  2. CFL bulbs (45 watts = ~200 watts of regular bulb output): Amazon.com: Full Spectrum Light Bulb - ALZO 45W CFL 5500K - Daylight balanced - 2800 Lumens: Camera & Photo
  3. Some creative clipping to a flash stand, like this: Amazon.com: Fotodiox Compact Light Stand, 6'5" Stand with Spring Cushion for Studio Strobe and Lighting Fixtures: Camera & Photo

Total:
For 2 lights ~400 watts light output: $61.13
For 4 lights ~800 watts light output (discount for package of 4): $101.07

OR

With this lighting solution you can do away with the sheet and clothes rack and go straight to umbrella. This is a little cleaner and a lot less DIY

1. 2 105 watt CPF bulbs (~800 watts of regular bulb output): Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Set of Two 105 Watt, 5000 K Fluorescent Daylight Balanced Light Bulb for Photography and Video Lighting: Camera & Photo
  2. Bulb & umbrella holder: Amazon.com: Studiohut DOUBLE AC Flash Light Stand Swivel Mount with Umbrella holder: Camera & Photo
  3. Stand: Amazon.com: Fotodiox Compact Light Stand, 6'5" Stand with Spring Cushion for Studio Strobe and Lighting Fixtures: Camera & Photo
  4. Umbrella: Amazon.com: CowboyStudio 33 inch Black and Silver Photo Studio Reflective Umbrella: Camera & Photo

Total: $84.15

OR

A complete package with 3 CFL bulbs, umbrellas, stands, and holders: Amazon.com: CowboyStudio Photography/Video Portrait Umbrella Continuous Triple Lighting Kit with Three Day Light CFL Bulbs, Three Stands, Two Umbrellas, and One Carrying Case For Product, Portrait, and Video Shoots: Camera & Photo

​Note: this option will not give you as much light output as the above options

Total: $59

Experiment!
Turn on the lights! Play around with the positioning of your subject, flash and reflectors. See what works best for what you are trying to accomplish.

Try something like this perhaps:
lighting-diagram-1381767858.png

Notes

• You may have to adjust your white balance depending on how well the gels change the color of the shop lights.
  • The gels will reduce the total light output, so you will have to compensate on your camera to get the proper exposure.
  • The lights will get HOT and can easily heat up a room. Do not place them too close to the sheet. Turn them off when not needed .
  • Have a remote flash handy? Skip the hot lights completely and just use flash behind the sheet (or in the umbrella, if you went with that option - be sure to get the flash bracket). Be sure to try adjusting the output for the desired effect.

Post your results!

carguy

Re: DIY Cheap studio (hot) lighting for under $75

Interesting thread. I am currently using the orange home depot clamps with my setup.
I have that exact garment rack I use to photography clothing to list on ebay in front of my white paper backdrop.

A word of caution with those worklights, I use them in the garage, they get very HOT and put off heat. I suspect it will melt most objects put on the protective cage. Also, try to work on the rating of those lamps to set the proper white balance.

Browncoat

Ah yes, I remember those days...trying to squeeze the most out of shop lights. I actually still have a couple of my old clamp shop lights. The key is to definitely replace those bulbs with CFLs, so the lights don't get so hot. Not only are they dangerous, but even just tinkering around, they're just a bitch to work with because the room heats up so fast.

My personal experience and opinion with the DIY-type setup is that it's largely a money pit with lackluster results. These lights never seem to have enough juice to get the job done, and the next thing you know, you're buying more and more lights to try and compensate...then you've got 10 extension cords running all over the place, and then you're tripping breakers in the house. The other problem is, the lighting is harsh and it's difficult to soften. Then you're running back to Home Depot, hacking and cutting and jury-rigging stuff to try and modify the lighting to get it to do what you want.

carguy

I remember my dad setting up these clamp shop lamps taking photos back in the day :)

clamp_light1.JPG

Ruidoso Bill

Ah yes, I remember those days...trying to squeeze the most out of shop lights. I actually still have a couple of my old clamp shop lights. The key is to definitely replace those bulbs with CFLs, so the lights don't get so hot. Not only are they dangerous, but even just tinkering around, they're just a bitch to work with because the room heats up so fast.

My personal experience and opinion with the DIY-type setup is that it's largely a money pit with lackluster results. These lights never seem to have enough juice to get the job done, and the next thing you know, you're buying more and more lights to try and compensate...then you've got 10 extension cords running all over the place, and then you're tripping breakers in the house. The other problem is, the lighting is harsh and it's difficult to soften. Then you're running back to Home Depot, hacking and cutting and jury-rigging stuff to try and modify the lighting to get it to do what you want.

Cuts down on the heating bill in the winter though!

BackdoorArts

It doesn't have the DIY appeal of jdeg's setup, but on the recommendation of a couple people for a nice, easy to use basic two light setup, I went with these from B&H. For just over $100 it's pretty flexible, and doesn't throw nearly the heat around as the halogens. Around here we occasionally get the DEA choppers doing heat profile checks over houses and I'm not sure I want an upstairs bedroom throwing 2000W when they fly over. LOL

Pretzel

You can also use just the shop lights behind a sheet, with or without a reflector, to get great "window light" portraits without active hair lights or floor lights, too. Spots seem to work a bit better behind set-ups like that, but a lot of the true light CFL's (like the "REVEAL" bulbs from GE) give a much more natural light.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

Updated first post with a third lighting option.

Pretzel

Thought about doubling up the option 3 set-up, but using 85w (300w equivalent) bulbs, so a total of 4 bulbs, 600w of light on each side, for larger groups. Think that would work to eliminate most shadows?

Just thinking about cost savings up front, and the umbrella set up definitely feels more "I know what I'm doing" with clients.

Last edited: