So Much For The Kit Lens Myth. 18-55mm 3.5

Bigsage136

Don't let the myth of the 18-55mm being a so so lens fool you. The lens is quite a bargain and lives up to the Nikon legend. This was taken @ 18mm, @ F11 with a shutter speed of 1/1000 and ISO 200.

Bahia MarDSC_0058006.jpg

Last edited:

Pretzel

The 18-55 does quite a nice job, it's just a bit more of a challenge in lower light situations...

​Welcome to the forums!

fotojack

I never liked the term "kit lens". Makes it sound cheap quality, which it certainly isn't! The 18-55 lens is very underrated, IMHO. If a camera is bundled with a particular lens, that lens becomes a 'kit lens'. So....if your D7100 came bundled with a 24-70, does that make it a kit lens? I think not! Marketing is to blame for that term, which I hope they do away with in the very near future.

WayneF

Hello I'm new to photography what does 18mm, F11 @5.6 mean?

F11 @5.6 probably was a typo.

But it may also suggest you need this book: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 9780817439392: Amazon.com: Books

It will also be in local book stores, and may be in your public library. It will be the best $18 any beginner can spend on photography. It is a very easy read, not deep, but is a very necessary starting point.

dramtastic

I'm not sure that most folk think kit lenses can't take a good photo, it's just that there are better lenses that can capture even better images in a lot of situations.

DraganDL

It means that the photo has been taken at the aperture value of 11 (f/11), using the lens whose maximum aperture value at the given focal length is 5.6.

weebee

Welcome! And it's a decent lenses. But as already stated.It doesn't do very well in low light. What are your primary uses going to be with your camera?